Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hubby Considering Military, worried about Kids

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Hubby Considering Military, worried about Kids

Advertisements
    Hello everyone
    My name is Stephanie and I am new to MSOS. I am actually not a military wife yet, but may soon be. My husband and I are 25 and have 2 little ones, 6 and 2. He has talked about the military for a long time and more recently brought it up in a more serious manner. We have not come to a final decision yet, but I was hoping to maybe get some advice/words of wisdom/ anything at all really from those who have or are going through the experience. I am very worried about what effect it will have on our kids with him being gone. Anything thoughts?? Thank you for anything you may have to share with me.
  2. Senior Member
    My kids are 19 months and almost 8 months old. The older knows that daddy is gone and it has hard on him for a little while, but kids adjust really fast. and they are very resilient. I personally wouldn't worry too much about that until you know what branch and MOS he'll be looking in to. just keep in mind if he does decide to join that some jobs keep them away from their families more and maybe try to steer clear of those if he can.
  3. Senior Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by marine.gf View Post
    My kids are 19 months and almost 8 months old. The older knows that daddy is gone and it has hard on him for a little while, but kids adjust really fast. and they are very resilient. I personally wouldn't worry too much about that until you know what branch and MOS he'll be looking in to. just keep in mind if he does decide to join that some jobs keep them away from their families more and maybe try to steer clear of those if he can.
    I am not sure which branch you are looking at but I agree with ^ .
    Some branches have organizations that can help kids with coping issues. I am sure they will adjust to whichever you decide.
  4. Senior Member
    My dad was a civilian contractor for the military (tried to sign up but was medically unfit) which actually left us moving more than most active duty and while sometimes it was hard, I can look back and say that I'm glad for the way I grew up. Yeah, dad was gone sometimes, and every year was a new school but I saw so many things I never would have otherwise and meet so many people. It gives you a great set of coping skills and an appreciation for the world when you've seen more of it. If it's what you and your husband decide is right for your family then your children will adapt and most likely thrive on what, with your help, they will see as new adventures. It will be difficult when your husband is gone and there will be bad days but looking back I very much see the good outweighing the bad hands down. DF and I have talked about it before and he feels the same way (his dad was army) so I know I'm not the only one.
    No more damn ticker, he's home!
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I have (almost) 4 kids ranging from 7ys to due this month. My kids know that daddy has to go away sometimes and we just try and make it as easy as we can for them (webcam as much as we can, phone calls, lots of pictures, etc) and daddy always bring home a small gift for them. My oldest is the one who deals with it the hardest, but I think that is mainly because he didn't have his dad around for the first 3 yrs of his life, so when we did move to live with DH he became ultra clingy to him.

I believe kids respond to things depending on how their parents do, so if you are ultra emotional and don't handle seperation or moving (because that is also something to concider) very well, then they probably won't either.

6. Senior Member
    My dad was military too. Don't know why I didn't bring that up My dad didn't get out until I was in high school and after that he became a civilian contractor. I would never trade the life I had. We lived in Italy for 6 years. We traveled all over Europe. I have friends all over the world (literally!). It forced my brothers and I to get really close too because we were all we had whenever we moved. It also made me much more able to cope in new situations since we were constantly moving. They are young so it shouldn't be too difficult for them. My dad was gone all the time, but we still had a great relationship There are definitely ups and downs, but I think it was a great life.
    Last edited by OneHappyMama; 09-01-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: forgot something
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for all of your input. You guys mentioned some branches keep them away longer, which ones in particular? He is looking most into Marines but I don't think he's dead set on them. I know we have a very strong family unit and I think I know deep down that they will be fine. But it is nice to hear from others that are experiencing it and have been through it. Thanks