Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Deployment and 5 month olds.

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Blog Entries

Deployment and 5 month olds.

Advertisements
    My guy's being deployed for 8 months and we have a 5 month old together. We're worried that when he gets back home she won't remember him. I know it bothers him. We're planning on using Skype, and we have a doll from Operation Give a Hug that a friend gave us. The doll works wonders when he's at work. But I'm worried that it will only work so much. Does anyone have any other tips on how to make deployment easier for my little one?
  2. Senior Member
    i know a recording helps my friends' 5 week old.... your daughter already knows his face and voice. so a video recording will really help. also a shirt or blanket that he has slept with. the doll is a good idea, and skype too. and definitely plenty of pictures. make sure to "say hi to daddy" a lot, especially as she gets older. yes, it may be awkward for her when he gets back, but she will know its daddy.... good luck!
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Blog Entries
    Thank you I really appreciate it!
  4. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

it may not be as bad as you think it'll be. My DH left when our son was 9months old and came back at 14mons. Our son didnt seem to have any issues after he left and once he got over being shy with DH at first, he warmed up to him pretty quickly
  5. I'm Cristina!
    I'm Cristina!
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    it may not be as bad as you think it'll be. My DH left when our son was 9months old and came back at 14mons. Our son didnt seem to have any issues after he left and once he got over being shy with DH at first, he warmed up to him pretty quickly
    My husband left and missed everything with the twins (he came for R&R and saw them for the first time when they were 2 months old) and he came home for good when they were 10 months old. They were shy at first but then they just spent some alone time and they were great.
    I hung a big picture of daddy on the wall when David was deployed. Liberty was 7m old and such a daddy's girl. If you ask her to this day where daddy is she runs and points to his picture. It helped to have lots of pix around for the kiddos.
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

DD was 7mths old when DH deployed. All my kids had Daddy Dolls and we would skype and look at pics of daddy all the time. She was actually a lot better than my 2 yr old when DH returned. She just went to him and hung on for dear life. She will do fine

8. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    With my husband's third deployment dd2 was 8.5 months old. He came home when she was 15 months old. She had no problems at all during the deployment. Dd1 was 2.5 when when he left. She also did really well. I was surprised at how well dd1 handled it. We didn't Skype. We've never Skyped. I don't even know if it was around then.

He called very often and dd1 got to talk to him a lot and see pictures. When he returned it was like he never left.
    Pax, Aeon