Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Looking for some advise.....

1. matt'sshannon

Looking for some advise.....

Advertisements
    Does anyone here have older children? My son is twelve and is struggling with my DB's deployment. (also because he lost his own father when he was six). Do you let your kids watch the news? Do you shelter them? We already keep our same routine but how do I make this seem more normal for him? What do you all do?
  2. Breezy
    I do NOT shelter my kids, My oldest is almost nine though.
    BUT before dh left on his last 2 deployments on to Iraq, we were upfront and honest with the kids and told them that daddy was going to Iraq and that he was going to be over there with some really bad people and that he would have a gun etc..........
    My kids know all about what is going on in the world atleast for their level. we kept our same routine but I also had my oldest speak to a therapist, it was his way of talking about it with a "friend"
  3. matt'sshannon
    Thanks!! Sounds like I may be on the right page but it always helps to hear that someone else is on the same page. I am amazed sometimes at how mature children can be. Sometimes it seems like I get more support from him than he gets from me.
  4. Breezy
    Yeah way different world than we grew up in huh lol.
    I think you are on the right track.
    Definately let him know that he can talk to you about anything though
  5. ilovemickeymost
    My DD is 13. We are totally upfront w/ her. We don't watch the news. I don't want to watch it, so that's no biggie. She shut down for awhile & wouldn't talk to her dad when he called. She said it made her more said & she cried more. He'll be home for leave soon & so she's started talking to him again. She finally told me that she didn't want to put anymore stress on me b/c she knew it was hard for me. When I explained that helping her when she felt bad, made me not focus on me being sad & that it really helped. Now she's more willing to tell me when she's bummed out. But don't be surprised if he talks to his friends instead of you. Also, check into camps/groups for teens of deployed parents.