Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Children after leave

1. Regular Member

Children after leave

Advertisements
    The kids had a very hard time when D deployed, mainly my DD. R&R is coming up quickly and I am not sure what to do about the kids and mainly the after R&R. How do you explain such a short leave to an 8 and 6 year old? Are the tantrums and outbursts harder or easier after R&R?

M
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I wish I had some advice to give you, but I'm sitting here wondering the same thing. This is the first time DH has been deployed long enough to get R&R, so it'll be our first time dealing with the aftermath. I'm mostly worried about our son, who's 6; my daughter is 12, so she understands things a little more and probably won't have as hard a time coping as her brother.

Our son and I have talked about how Daddy will be able to come home for a visit, but that he'll have to go back to the deployment afterwards; I'm not sure how much he really understands, though. DH is taking his R&R fairly late in the deployment...we're hoping that being able to tell our son that Daddy will only be gone for a few more months will help make things a little easier on him.

Sorry I couldn't really help; hopefully someone else who has already been through this will have some words of wisdom for both of us!