Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Operation: Military Kids!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Operation: Military Kids!

Advertisements
    A pretty useful website for parents who have a child coping with deployment. Lots of information (even per state) with links and web resources, a place to submit your story, Hero Packsand more.

OMK - Operation Military Kids

Operation: Military Kids (OMK) is the U.S. Army's collaborative effort with America's communities to support the children and youth impacted by deployment. This initiative was officially launched in April 2005. Since its inception OMK has touched 88,000 military youth and provided information to 21,009 community members across the United States.
  2. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Just wanted to pipe in and say this is a wonderful program. I'll never forget the smile on my son's face when he opened his Hero Pack.

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  3. Senior Member
    Yup! I agree.
    My kids still wear their Hero Pack backpacks. Oh, and we also went to the family camp they have here for families with a dad/mom deployed, about to deploy, or just getting back from deployment. I'm not the camping type, but it was so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by *EmAzing* View Post
    I shit pearls and use coach bags in place of zip-loc baggies
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

You know, the first time I heard about it was 2 days after DH got back from deployment.

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I love OMK. My 6-year-old son got a Young Hero Pack at school the day after his dad deployed, and he loves it. The OMK backpack immediately preempted Lightning McQueen as his backpack of choice for school...lol.

I need to find out if my daughter's school does Hero Packs. I think she tends to feel a little left out sometimes; she's 12, and most places don't do as much for the older kids as they do for the younger ones.