Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: how is she going to change?

1. Senior Member

how is she going to change?

Advertisements
    daddy is fixing to leave, and in the passed 8 months of them "re-connecting" after AIT she lives, and breathes daddy. with this being our first deployment im wondering what to expect, how to explain it to her with her being soo little, what i can do to help her get excited about his return and things like that. I am completely blind on what to expect.... i mean when my father started deploying i was in Highschool... so its much different....

Please all suggestions are appreciated.

TIA
    "You are good, when there is nothing good in me
  2. Love you with all my heart!
    Love you with all my heart!
    Blog Entries

It will be tough Im sure but you got this

Hope someone can answer better though
  3. Senior Member
    I am in Atlanta,Ga, My solider is in Iraq
    I will be praying about it for you. But I think it might be good if you could record Daddy talking to her, you know little things like: good night, Daddy loves you,etc. I think some things can really help. good luck
  4. Senior Member
    thanks ladies.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    idk if you have seen the "what 365 days looks like to kids" thread, but I strongly suggest doing some kind of countdown like that once he leaves. It really helps kids to physically see stuff like that, helps them understand a little better whats going on.

I also suggest like what was said above, having him record some simple sayings "good night", "good morning", "daddy loves you", "i miss you", and any special things he says or nick names he may call her. I think they have a picture frame now that you could put his picture in, put it next to her bed/crib and have him record saying something and if she is old enough, teach her how to push the button.

Depending on her age, stories are normally a really good idea, would be even better if he can record some while he is gone to send home! While communication is always up in the air, try your best to set up as best you can "daddy dates" where she could hear him or possibly see him.

Im not sure how old she is or how aware of things like e-mail and the computer she is aware of, but young kids get a real kick out of having their own "e-mail address" where the deployed parent can send them a special message just for them, kinda makes it more special (again depends on the child and age).
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    idk if you have seen the "what 365 days looks like to kids" thread, but I strongly suggest doing some kind of countdown like that once he leaves. It really helps kids to physically see stuff like that, helps them understand a little better whats going on.

I also suggest like what was said above, having him record some simple sayings "good night", "good morning", "daddy loves you", "i miss you", and any special things he says or nick names he may call her. I think they have a picture frame now that you could put his picture in, put it next to her bed/crib and have him record saying something and if she is old enough, teach her how to push the button.

Depending on her age, stories are normally a really good idea, would be even better if he can record some while he is gone to send home! While communication is always up in the air, try your best to set up as best you can "daddy dates" where she could hear him or possibly see him.

Im not sure how old she is or how aware of things like e-mail and the computer she is aware of, but young kids get a real kick out of having their own "e-mail address" where the deployed parent can send them a special message just for them, kinda makes it more special (again depends on the child and age).

I did see that thread i believe, it was the one witht he paper links? it has been my favorite idea and have started putting it together. DD will be almost 3 when he leaves, and the story idea i think is great, i will get to work on him doing some of those. Also i think that i may invest in the "flip" camera so he can send her videos back and forth. thank you so much ladies... i just want to make sure we have enough!