Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What would you say?

1. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Question What would you say?

Advertisements
    If you child asked you for Christmas, "Can Santa pick up Daddy and drop him off at our door?"

I paused and told him Santa said he couldn't do that but he would give him an extra toy. I cried.

So far, Christian hasn't mentioned his dad being gone much but now he has suddenly started bringing it up and he HATES talking about the situation. He tries to avoid anything dealing with it and has been very irritable.

It makes me sad and J is really upset/sad about it because he thinks Christian doesn't miss him but I think it's the exact opposite. I feel like Christian misses him so much and he can't put it into words.

Blah. Any tips on dealing with this situation for children this age?

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  2. Senior Member
    hm... if my son said that to me I would sympathize with him. I would say, "I wish hunnie. That would be an amazing Christmas gift wouldnt it? Daddy is over here (points at map) helping other boys and girls so they can have a good Christmas like us...Daddy is going to be Santa's Helper this year but he will be home after the holidays (or whenever he is going to come home)" I would just encourage and let him know that Daddy is a hero. Possibly color pictures with him to send to dad and his co-workers...
  3. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenyBeany View Post
    hm... if my son said that to me I would sympathize with him. I would say, "I wish hunnie. That would be an amazing Christmas gift wouldnt it? Daddy is over here (points at map) helping other boys and girls so they can have a good Christmas like us...Daddy is going to be Santa's Helper this year but he will be home after the holidays (or whenever he is going to come home)" I would just encourage and let him know that Daddy is a hero. Possibly color pictures with him to send to dad and his co-workers...
    That is a wonderful response!