Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Not wanting to talk to Daddy?

1. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries

Question Not wanting to talk to Daddy?

Advertisements
    Alexis is almost 16 months old, and she LOVES her daddy. Everytime he's on webcam, I ask her, "Lexi, wanna talk to daddy?" And she comes running over and sits in front of the computer and she goes "hi dade"! Then, all of a sudden, she pushes the computer away, and starts crying.

Is there anything I can do to help her with this separation? She's never been away from him, except for drill weekends, and then, it's only like 2 days, TOPS.

She's cranky ALL day, and keeps asking for him, and sits by the door and calls him. I'm at a loss on what to do... It makes me feel soo bad for her cause she doesn't know what's going on, yet daddy is gone.

2. Senior Member
    I know my situation is not the same, but it might offer you some insight...

My boyfriend has a young daughter who lives across the country from us with her mom. Because of his service, he is only able to see her a few weeks out of the year and it's really hard on her when he comes to visit because she knows he's not gonna be around for long. In order to keep Daddy fresh in her mind, both her mom and his parents try to do activities where they can bring up Daddy or bring out photos and show her. Just talk to your daughter and explain to her as best as you can that he loves her very much and will be home to see her soon enough. Also, remind her that it's okay to be sad and miss him!

Good luck!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Have you tried the paper chain project with her? I am not sure she will fully understand at that age, but maybe seeing how long until (roughly) daddy comes home may help? Making a big deal out of taking off a link in the paper chain type thing?
  4. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Have you tried the paper chain project with her? I am not sure she will fully understand at that age, but maybe seeing how long until (roughly) daddy comes home may help? Making a big deal out of taking off a link in the paper chain type thing?
    What is that? I've heard of it, and I know roughly what it is, but I don;t know excatlyy!

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by *emILY. View Post
    What is that? I've heard of it, and I know roughly what it is, but I don;t know excatlyy!
    Paper chain.... Take construction paper (or really any paper) and cut it into long strips. Then staple 1 together at the ends (making a circle), then string the next strip through and staple those ends together... making a chain....

You do that for as many days as your husband will be gone (be prepared to have a LOT of paper!)... Then each day, at whatever time, have her remove 1 of the links... kinda like a kid count-down KWIM?

For someone her age though, since she cant really staple or cut, maybe use construction paper, but also get some white paper and let her draw pictures and then use that in the chain (you will have to cut the picture though unless you draw lines on it if she can color in the lines)

Hope that made sense. I have seen it help some of the younger kids who dont really get whats going on, but they can understand that when all those chains are gone, their daddy (or mommy) comes home!
  6. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Paper chain.... Take construction paper (or really any paper) and cut it into long strips. Then staple 1 together at the ends (making a circle), then string the next strip through and staple those ends together... making a chain....

You do that for as many days as your husband will be gone (be prepared to have a LOT of paper!)... Then each day, at whatever time, have her remove 1 of the links... kinda like a kid count-down KWIM?

For someone her age though, since she cant really staple or cut, maybe use construction paper, but also get some white paper and let her draw pictures and then use that in the chain (you will have to cut the picture though unless you draw lines on it if she can color in the lines)

Hope that made sense. I have seen it help some of the younger kids who dont really get whats going on, but they can understand that when all those chains are gone, their daddy (or mommy) comes home!

AWESOME idea. Since when he gets home, she will be 2 1/2 and Jordyn will be 1 1/2. I'll go and buy paper later on this week. He's only at training right now, and will be home next Saturday, but leaves for deployment 2 wks after that. So I'm just worried about him coming home, then leaving again.

7. Regular Member
    I keep a slide show of pictures for the computer screen saver for the kids... DH's not deployed, but we've been waiting for command sponsorship and we went through 5 months of training, so it's been a long time...
    Anytime that DH can do web-cam chat, we do it, and when he calls, I ask the kids if they want to talk to daddy. You just have to be understanding and realize that kids that young (even our 10 year old doesn't really understand why we're not with daddy yet) don't get it.
    Paper chains are a very awesome concept, though.
    Leaving this blank, y'all know why
  8. Regular Member
    i love the paper chains! i dont have any kids but my friend and i did it and it was a good distraction for an afternoon! i enjoy taking a ring down everyday, it gives me reasurace thats time is moving when it doesnt feel like it is!

An Airman in Iraq has my