Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: My 6 year old keeps saying he wants to kill himself

  1. Old Newbie
    jbrooks12's Avatar
    jbrooks12 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    29
    #1

    My 6 year old keeps saying he wants to kill himself

    Advertisements
    HELP!!!

    My DH has been out to sea for 3 mths now and my DS is taking it really hard. For a while now he has said that he doesn't like himself and that no one loves him. I try to reassure him that we do love him, that we are proud of him, and that he is very smart. At first I just thought that it was a play for attention. I just kind of told myself that he was being dramatic and I would try to distract him. That didn't work because things have gotten worse since DH left. I just don't know what to do exactly because of his recent actions. The first case was him grabbing a knife and saying that he was going to cut his throat and kill himself. I calmly took the knife away from him and talked to him about how it would make me very sad if he hurt himself and that we love him very much. He seemed to calm down and seemed to be ok after some time. A few days later again he got really upset at himself and said the same things about wanting to hurt himself and tried climbing on the banister so he could throw himself over. Thank God I was right there and got him down and immediately made him go for a walk with me. Again after 20 mins he seemed to calm down. Today he wanted to push the screen out of the window and jump. I just don't know what to do. I just started taking him to see a therapist, but am I doing enough? Has anyone had a child so young go through this? My children are not t.v. watchers so I know that this is not coming from our house. I can't say whether he has picked anything up from school or this is just him. I also didn't mention that his drawings have become very graphic and concerning. The only thing that I can do at the moment is to keep him by me at all times. Does anyone have any advice?
  2. Amy
    Account Closed
    Amy's Avatar
    Amy is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,229
    #2
    Oh my god, I'm so sorry you're going through this, I would be terrified.

    What kind of a therapist is he seeing? He sounds like he's emotionally disturbed, for some reason or another. Have you asked him why he feels this way about himself? Why he thinks that killing himself is a good option?

    6 years old is way, way too young for him to be feeling like this. I would be really, really concerned. Afraid to leave him alone, even. I don't think it's entirely related to your husband being gone- there's something else.
  3. Loving Life!
    aliciamarie's Avatar
    aliciamarie is offline
    Loving Life!
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,501
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Oh my god, I'm so sorry you're going through this, I would be terrified.

    What kind of a therapist is he seeing? He sounds like he's emotionally disturbed, for some reason or another. Have you asked him why he feels this way about himself? Why he thinks that killing himself is a good option?

    6 years old is way, way too young for him to be feeling like this. I would be really, really concerned. Afraid to leave him alone, even. I don't think it's entirely related to your husband being gone- there's something else.
    I agree. 6 years old seems really REALLY young. How long has he been seeing a therapist? Has he had any other trauma in his life besides his dad leaving for a few months?
  4. Old Newbie
    jbrooks12's Avatar
    jbrooks12 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    29
    #4
    He has been seeing a therapist for only 2 weeks. I got really really worried so that is why I took him. The therapist is a licensed family therapist. She is actually the therapist that I was seeing myself for depression. As far as other trauma that my son has gone through, the only thing is living an unstable life. By "unstable" I mean having my husband away from the family for long periods of time. I am not making excuses because other military men and women are gone for far longer, but DH was in school for 1 year in which me and the kids lived with my family and then Dh has had 3 deployments in 4 years. So out of the last 4 years we lived together as a family for only 13 mths. That is the only trauma that I can think of right now. I just am soooo scared for him!
  5. Amy
    Account Closed
    Amy's Avatar
    Amy is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,229
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks12 View Post
    He has been seeing a therapist for only 2 weeks. I got really really worried so that is why I took him. The therapist is a licensed family therapist. She is actually the therapist that I was seeing myself for depression. As far as other trauma that my son has gone through, the only thing is living an unstable life. By "unstable" I mean having my husband away from the family for long periods of time. I am not making excuses because other military men and women are gone for far longer, but DH was in school for 1 year in which me and the kids lived with my family and then Dh has had 3 deployments in 4 years. So out of the last 4 years we lived together as a family for only 13 mths. That is the only trauma that I can think of right now. I just am soooo scared for him!
    I would consider a psychiatrist or clinical counselor, as opposed to a family therapist, honestly. Someone who has more experience with more serious issues- chemical imbalances and such.
  6. One Day At A Time...
    KaylaH's Avatar
    KaylaH is offline
    One Day At A Time...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Camano Island, WA
    Posts
    8,979
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I would consider a psychiatrist or clinical counselor, as opposed to a family therapist, honestly. Someone who has more experience with more serious issues- chemical imbalances and such.
    I agree. How often is he seeing the therapist?

    I can't even imagine how scared you must be for him. I'm not even sure if depression medication is approved for children his age... but in cooperation with therapy, it may be very beneficial to him. At this point, I'm sure your willing to try anything. I would call his pediatrician and talk about it. ASAP.
  7. Old Newbie
    jbrooks12's Avatar
    jbrooks12 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    29
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Oh my god, I'm so sorry you're going through this, I would be terrified.

    What kind of a therapist is he seeing? He sounds like he's emotionally disturbed, for some reason or another. Have you asked him why he feels this way about himself? Why he thinks that killing himself is a good option?

    6 years old is way, way too young for him to be feeling like this. I would be really, really concerned. Afraid to leave him alone, even. I don't think it's entirely related to your husband being gone- there's something else.

    I have asked him why he feels this way about himself, and he tries to hide from me but says it's cauz he is dumb and a loser and no one loves him. He does have moments though when he will draw me pictures that are of flowers and hearts and tell me how much he loves me and that he thinks I'm pretty. I just don't know if maybe I am doing something wrong. Am I the reason that he feels like this??? Am I not being a good enough parent to him???
  8. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mrs.Mermaid.'s Avatar
    Mrs.Mermaid. is offline
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ocean Blue
    Posts
    31,068

    #8


    Keep taking him to the therapist and keep her informed if anything changes. Also make sure he knows that you guys love him and that his dad will be home, etc. Maybe you could try and get him interested in new hobbies or something.

    I had thoughts like that at 6 as well That's one reason why I'm not allowed to use sharp objects. I didn't have any trauma in my life other than a military mom and having to grow up fast.
  9. Loving Life!
    aliciamarie's Avatar
    aliciamarie is offline
    Loving Life!
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,501
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I would consider a psychiatrist or clinical counselor, as opposed to a family therapist, honestly. Someone who has more experience with more serious issues- chemical imbalances and such.
    This seems like great advice! A therapist and psychiatrist are totally different and I think that a psychiatrist would be a little more help. that is just what I think. Has the therapist been able to tell you Anything at all about what may be going on?
  10. One Day At A Time...
    KaylaH's Avatar
    KaylaH is offline
    One Day At A Time...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Camano Island, WA
    Posts
    8,979
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks12 View Post
    I have asked him why he feels this way about himself, and he tries to hide from me but says it's cauz he is dumb and a loser and no one loves him. He does have moments though when he will draw me pictures that are of flowers and hearts and tell me how much he loves me and that he thinks I'm pretty. I just don't know if maybe I am doing something wrong. Am I the reason that he feels like this??? Am I not being a good enough parent to him???
    Don't blame yourself. Especially around him. He needs to see you positive! All kids go thru rough patches. I'm shocked that he's so young, but hey-- its happening.

    Is he being bullied at school or anything? If you guys are very positive about his abilities and such, he has to be hearing it from someone else. Maybe talk to him about that?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •