Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not deployed...bootcamp

1. Counting the days...
    Counting the days...

Not deployed...bootcamp

Advertisements
    I have a almost 7 year old daughter that isn't biologically DF's. He's the only father she has known and she thinks of him as Dad. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in how much I miss him that I forget how much she misses him too.

So this morning she comes downstairs sobbing. She had a nightmare that he died. She misses him and seems super depressed today. I'm having a hard time explaining the military in kid talk. I'd love to get/teach her more about it and help her cope but I just don't know where to start. I even took her to the waterfront for fleet week and went on a tour of a CG ship, didn't help lol.

He will be home for 5 days at the end of the month and will be stationed about 4 hours away (YAY) so that will be great for us. But until then...

Ideas?!?
  2. Regular Member
    I'm not much help, but am going to be going through the same thing pretty soon. My DH is going Air Guard (out of Portland) We have 3 kids (8, 6, and 3) I have no idea how they're going to handle it. They have never been away from him for more than a night. Sorry, not much help.

PS How was fleet week? I really wanted to go, but didn't dare try to navigate my way through Portland during the Rose Parade We were at the Young Americans day instead
  3. Counting the days...
    Counting the days...
    It was fun. I was the only one crying through the CG ship tour lol. I actually ended up getting some good websites from the "tour guide" and it turned out to be a blessing. I'm able to follow DF's progress online.

It was expensive for the rides and food and think I may just be getting to old for the greasy food and spinning rides.

Good luck with him leaving... Don't be surprised if you cry at everything lol!
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missX View Post
    Don't be surprised if you cry at everything lol!
    That's funny you mention that. I've caught myself getting teary eyed already when I hear stuff about the military (I was listening to a Wounded Warrior talk earlier today) I never thought I would be this way, and he hasn't even left. I've warned him I'm gonna cry like a little baby. Good luck to you and your DF.
  5. Senior Member
    It might help her to write him letters, if she doesn't already. Just to be able to tell him about her day.
    ~Sara~
  6. Counting the days...
    Counting the days...
    Quote Originally Posted by studebakerchick View Post
    That's funny you mention that. I've caught myself getting teary eyed already when I hear stuff about the military (I was listening to a Wounded Warrior talk earlier today) I never thought I would be this way, and he hasn't even left. I've warned him I'm gonna cry like a little baby. Good luck to you and your DF.
    You too! I'm here to talk anytime!
  7. Counting the days...
    Counting the days...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    It might help her to write him letters, if she doesn't already. Just to be able to tell him about her day.
    We do that but I was hoping there was something more I could do with her. Are there any good books you know of? Maybe I can start with books...
  8. They call me Mouse Potato
    They call me Mouse Potato
    I'm sorta clueless as well and will be going through the same thing. My 5 year old isn't biologically DF's but he's the only father she ahs ever known. She had issues with her real father not being around so i worry about her freaking out about DF leaving. I really think we're going to ge ta calendar to count down teh days till he returns. have her write letters, maybe even get a journal she can keep that is just hers to give him when he gets back. maybe even get one of those dolls that you can have their picture put onto.
    DH: "Your even more beautiful as my wife"

9. Counting the days...
    Counting the days...
    Quote Originally Posted by sapphiremommy View Post
    I'm sorta clueless as well and will be going through the same thing. My 5 year old isn't biologically DF's but he's the only father she ahs ever known. She had issues with her real father not being around so i worry about her freaking out about DF leaving. I really think we're going to ge ta calendar to count down teh days till he returns. have her write letters, maybe even get a journal she can keep that is just hers to give him when he gets back. maybe even get one of those dolls that you can have their picture put onto.
    I really wish we would have done the build a bear thing before he left. That way she could have at least heard his voice and had a teddy bear. That will definitely be happening while he's home on leave!
  10. Regular Member

Here's what I've done

This seems to work really well for my kids. My little one starts having trouble before deployment. I make him a special scrapbook of pictures of him with his daddy. I buy the 4X6 albums and then I decorate it for him. Although yours may want to do it with you. You don't have to do it expensive just an album and pictures. Prior to return we sit down and look at it even more and talk about feelings. I find that at that age they love to read the stories I put on the page.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast