Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How do you deal?

1. Senior Member

How do you deal?

Advertisements
    We went to a bbq on Sunday and there were several children there with their daddies. Ds, 2 1/2y/o, was asking where's my daddy and saying I miss my daddy.

How do you deal with this? I just kept telling him that his daddy is at work, remember daddy had to go to work.

Then yesterday he acted out a lot. I put him in time out I even spanked him and that did not help. I did not think about it being related to daddy being gone until he went to bed.

So what are some things that you do for your children when they are going through this? This is the first time that he has really been asking for dh and talking about how he needs to see daddy. It is just heart breaking.

Thanks! I've tried everything I know.

Wife To Michael ~10-17-98~
    Momma To Eric ~9-19-06~
  2. Junior Member
    I understand what you are going through. My son misses my husband a lot and I do not think there is a lot that one can do to help the situation. A lot of the times, children do not understand how to react to something like this. The only thing that you can do is to try to explain what is going on with your son. My son is only 2 and I sit down and talk to him about things. This usually helps. Try to explain that daddy is at work and he will be home soon. My son knows that daddy is at work but we see him on the computer almost everyday. Do you guys have skype? This can help a child by seeing his father.

I am starting to think that our son believes his daddy is in the computer now!

We also talk about "daddy" all of the time. My son goes around to things that are broken saying "daddy fix it". Just keep him in your words and hopefully things will start to get better.