Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: navy SO's...idea for thier kids

1. Do fairytales ever come true?
    Do fairytales ever come true?
    Virginia Beach Va (hubby is on USS Bataan)
    Blog Entries

navy SO's...idea for thier kids

Advertisements
    ok so when i was in the navy on a boat on deployment they did this thing called united through reading. basically, you pick a book and a backround then someone sets up the video camera and the SO reads to the kids. you then take the dvd of the SO reading and the book and send it home to the kids. it was awesome for dd when i was gone, my SO will be doing it this time around. your SO can ask if your ship does it and if not they should highly recommend it!

[/url]
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

my former db is an ic & he told me about it. he & his shop are the ones who do the video taping.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    It's a wonderful program. DH never did it, but if he did, I'd be and so would the kids.
  4. I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I know it is set up on most ships now, and in many places in Iraq and Afghanistan. The ships should have a library of books available to read, but you wont be able to send them home with the dvd. We suggest that you send books with your service member when they deploy, along with padded envelopes big enough to send the book back in, since often the ships Post Office wont have any. You can also include some in your care packages.

Also, this makes a good activity for the FRG before deployment. You can hold a new book drive to help stock the United Through Reading Library!
  5. Senior Member
    We video taped dh reading books to the girls before he left.

The girls love watching it
  6. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    What a great idea..
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  7. Junior Member
    Thats amazing. I didnt know about that but DH just left and we recorded him reading a book for each week he will be gone and I play it for ds before bed. We are hoping it will keep ds from forgetting daddy, he is only 1 year
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  8. ~M*A*R*I*E~
    ~M*A*R*I*E~
    I made my hubby read 18 books for our DS before he left on deployment and I video taped it and turned it into this really sweet dvd for our son. Once a week, Daddy reads a story to him...i'm hoping it'll help with the waiting for Daddy-to-come-home-syndrome

United through reading is awesome though. My dh actually did one for his nephew 3 years ago (before he had a child of his own)
    NO MORE TICKER! THE LOVE OF MY LIFE IS HOME FOR GOOD
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I'm in Houston: DH is deployed on the USS Bataan
    I'm new here, but saw this thread. My DH did this program for our 3 year old DD a couple a weeks ago, but we have yet to receive it in the mail. I hope it comes soon, because I know she's going to love to watch her daddy read to her.
    My dad is in the Army (currently in Iraq) and sent my DD a DVD in addition to the book. She was so happy to be able to follow along. I think the program is great. I just wish my DH and I would've thought about recording him reading books to our DD before he left. That's a really good idea.