Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Mothers, need your input re: ds and school

1. Senior Member

Mothers, need your input re: ds and school

Advertisements
    Here's the meat of the story. I was 10 minutes late picking up my son. (The teacher almost always is late, btw.) I've never been late picking him up. I rushed into the parking lot and my son bolted out of the front school door. I got out of the car and he started balling. He told me that his teacher handed him his folder and when he turned around she was gone. He said he waited for me about 5 minutes in the back of the school, then he walked to the front of the school. He said he was scared and was afraid.

I went in the office and the vp was in a closed door meeting. I told the secretary what happened and she seemed shocked. I couldn't wait around to talk with anyone else with my ds there, so I left.

Now, wrong is wrong, but there's more to the picture. My son has been having a lot of issues in school. I think he may have a ld. I've had many meetings with school staff/teachers about having my son tested. We all believe there are problems. My son has some emotional issues, and in all likelyhood, some learning disabilities, too.

With this information, what teacher on earth would leave my son alone, on a Friday? The school really empties out on Friday's, so in all liklihood, my son was alone in the schoolyard.

I know I have to talk to someone in the school on Monday, but I really need some input here on how you would handle this.

Thanks.
  2. Member
    that is just crazy!! if i were in your shoes, i would set something up with the principal of the school and tell him/her what happened. and if they seemed to not be concerned with it, i would go to the school board. i would also request to be present when they talked to the teacher. that way you can make sure that they are doing something about it. GOOD LUCK!!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    That was irresponsible of her. They are suppose to be left in the office. I would def. take it up with the principal. The what if's scare me and I can only imagine how you both felt. I'm sorry your son had to go through that.
  4. Senior Member
    I agree....he should not have been left alone. If they do not have schoolyard attendants, than the teachers need to keep kids within a certain grade range (say k-3) with them until their parents pick them up. If there are attendants they need to stay in the yard and keep watch on all kids not with parents until a parent shows up and those who are running behind getting picked up should be taken to the office.

I bet your son was scared. I am sorry he was. I would be horrified to find my child was left alone. I am always watching (because the attendants in my school yard aren't the best) for kids who seem a bit lost and get them to a teacher or if a friends child keep them with me.
  5. Senior Member

Yeah, ds is in 2nd graded

The kids are let out in the back of the school. Ds just turned 8 and is a little behind maturity-wise. I wonder how the school plans on handling this with the teacher????
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    First of all make sure you DS knows, that next time (if there ever is a next time) he needs to go the the office and tell them to call you! As for the teacher leaving him alone... make sure you not only talk to the principal but right a letter saying what happened and cc: it to the School District office.

As for the LD that to needs to (although shouldn't have to) be a written request as well. Sometimes dealing with such issues suck!
    Valerie

"They do not love, that do not show their love." William Shakespeare
  7. Proud Marine Wife & Candle Lady
    Proud Marine Wife & Candle Lady
    As someone who has taught in numerous schools in numerous states I'm appalled that your child would be left alone to fend for himself. I've always taught upper grades, but we always had our vp and numerous teachers/aides out with all the students awaiting pickup. If there were only a few left those students would be brought to the office while their parents were contacted. I would definitely contact the principal and find out what the school policy is. From there I'd see what was done about the situation and contact the school board as well.
    GOT CANDLES????

Need a change? Transform a room in your house for only $9.95! Ask me how!

Economy got you down? Ask me how to start your own business for FREE!

View the catalog online at:
    www.partylite.biz/gretchenistre

8. Senior Member
    We've had some early releases and snow days, so I've gotten minimal responses. The prinicpal says the teacher thought she saw me to let my son go. Bs. The kicker is that my son has a sheet that I'm shown each day about his behavior that I look at and then it gets handed back to the teacher. This obviously didn't happen.
  9. Proud Marine Wife & Candle Lady
    Proud Marine Wife & Candle Lady
    You mean you review it with the teacher each day after school? Did you get it that day? I think they should be walking your child to the car all things considered. At this point, since nothing is being done by the school, I would contact the school board and superintendent's office. I always think that is a last resort, but at this point it doesn't seem like they have adequately addressed your concerns about the care of your child.
    GOT CANDLES????

Need a change? Transform a room in your house for only $9.95! Ask me how!

Economy got you down? Ask me how to start your own business for FREE!

View the catalog online at:
    www.partylite.biz/gretchenistre