Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Christmas Idea for Kids

1. Member

Christmas Idea for Kids

Advertisements
    Hello! I came up with a great Christmas gift for our kids this year while my DH is deployed and thought I would share. Deployments are sooo hard but having to deal with our own issues and keep the kids feeling safe & happy is definitely one of the hardest part. So we have 2 kids (1 at home and 1 that DH has from previous marriage). I bought 2 LARGE glass jars from Walmart (cheap like $5.00 each) and I am filling them up with Hershey's Hugs & Kisses. 1 for every night of DH's deployment. That way the kids get a hug and kiss from Daddy every night. I put an "average" amount of kisses in there. Will have to keep an eye on them once the time gets closer. But for the kids it gives them #1 a sweet treat & #2 an actual visual reference. They will actually be able to "see" that the deployment is counting down. The gift will be from "daddy" this year - we are lucky because we actually get him home for Xmas - by a twist of fate - so he'll be able to give them to the kids and tell them what it means. But it's a great idea even if your SO is already gone!
    Anyway Merry Christmas. Stay strong. Stay positive!!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    That's an old Navy spouse method of counting deployment days; been around for about 30 years that I know of. Other similar countdowns include paper chains strung around the room.
  3. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Last edited by Serpentine; 03-10-2009 at 07:28 PM.

4. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    I had no idea what reindeer food was until the squadron had their Christmas party. Cute idea, but never even heard of it.
  5. bailliesbags
    Or M & M's.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm so going to do that for me! Even though I'm not a kid, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea!