Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: My sons been sad....

1. Senior Member

My sons been sad....

Advertisements
    Ok so first a little back ground... Jacob is almost 3 (january 3 is his birthday). He is also my son from my previous marriage. DB and I tried to be very careful with my son because of the fact he was going to be deploying. Well Jacob took to DB instantly... DB had already met my son and seen him through the years because he was friends with my ex husband.

Lately Jacob has been going off and pouting and when I ask him whats wrong he says 'I miss Matt mommy' I have explained to him that Matt is away for work and that he will come home as soon as he can. I have also told him that Matt misses us too. I have told him everything I can think of to try to make this easier on him. But this is pretty much a daily thing, I know he doesnt have the concept of time and waiting yet... I tried to put it in perspective for him too... I told him Matt will be home this summer, so when you can go swimming in grandmas pool Matt will be coming home (R&R is scheduled for June). We went and saw Santa and he was telling santa what he wanted for christmas and he told Santa he wanted Matt to come home.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make this better on him?

We also get on webcam and he gets to talk to him too.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    no advice but I'll for you
  3. Senior Member
    It's 100% normal. His routine has been disturbed. Maybe you can make a Matt chain (a chrsistmas paper chain) or a M&M container for 1 each day, or a letter a week.
  4. US Army.... Like Me or NOT... HERE I COME
    US Army.... Like Me or NOT... HERE I COME
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amazinggrace View Post
    It's 100% normal. His routine has been disturbed. Maybe you can make a Matt chain (a chrsistmas paper chain) or a M&M container for 1 each day, or a letter a week.
    Hey girly, you know I have no clue how to help you here but the above sounds really cool! I really like the M&M a day thing.... and if the army delays him, well just dump a few more M&Ms in while Jakey is asleep I wish I could help you with this, you know atleast you have an ear and shoulder over here Good luck girly
    Thank You to brentscrystal

Wifey to LoveKiss, Nickerbeth, & Serpentine
  5. Missing you more each day...
    Missing you more each day...
    Ds is the same age 3 and I do what you have been doing but it is hard for them to understand the concept of time and that makes it harder. For the past few night ds wakes up crying for dh and I feel helpless but all I can think about is involve him when you make care packages, have him make projects and send them. BTW Ds asked santa to bring toys and daddy home DUMB DEPLOYMENT!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    i'll pray for you does he get into video games yet cuz believe me videos games WILL keep him occupied lol...i know a 1yr old that's already getting into video games hahaha
  7. Senior Member
    Thank you all for the advice... I really like the M&M thing too. And I have involved him in the christmas care package (only one I have done so far since he was moving around too much) but the little booger was trying to tell him all about it on webcam... note to self-cant take him christmas shopping anymore lol. We also just started that he is going to write him letters, well he'll narrate and mommy will write.

Hey girly, you know I have no clue how to help you here but the above sounds really cool! I really like the M&M a day thing.... and if the army delays him, well just dump a few more M&Ms in while Jakey is asleep I wish I could help you with this, you know atleast you have an ear and shoulder over here Good luck girly
  8. bailliesbags
    My dh was deployed when dd was 3. I got one of those little dollar picture albums and put pics of her daddy in it for her. Why don't you make your son one up. We would put pics of daddy, of us, of Grandma and such. She kept it close all the time.

Encourage him to write Matt.... Draw pictures for him.... I know it is probablly scribble scrabble, but that is ok.

I think the M&M 's are a great idea also!!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bailliesbags View Post
    My dh was deployed when dd was 3. I got one of those little dollar picture albums and put pics of her daddy in it for her. Why don't you make your son one up. We would put pics of daddy, of us, of Grandma and such. She kept it close all the time.

Encourage him to write Matt.... Draw pictures for him.... I know it is probablly scribble scrabble, but that is ok.

I think the M&M 's are a great idea also!!
    Matt is actually writing him a letter now, he can draw too so he's even going to illustrate it too He's too cute. Jacob said he wanted Matt to write him a letter so that he could write back. Thank you for the ideas!!