Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD is mad at Daddy

1. Seabee Wife
    Seabee Wife

DD is mad at Daddy

Advertisements
    My DD hasn't been willing to talk to DH in about two months. When I ask her way she says she is mad at him. I ask her why and she says because he left us. Now I know she is young. She will be 2 next month. I also understand that she is sorting her feelings out. If I ask her if she would like to talk to him she shouts No and runs out of the room. If I am web camming with him and she realizes it she will scream and run out of the room. She will not elaborate any further. She just shuts down on the subject and runs away, often to hide.
    I tell her every night that Daddy misses her every day and that he wishes he could be with her. I tell her that Daddy loves her many times a day. I have explained to her that Daddy has a big job to do and that he will be home as soon as he is done doing that job. I tell her that he did not leave us because we did anything wrong, he left because he has a job to do.
    I'm currently at a loss as to what to do. DH has been understanding and patient but I know it hurts him. It hurts me. I need suggestions, encouraging words, and advise from people who have been here.
    I am concerned with how she will respond when he is home. I'd go talk to a psychiatrist about it but I am traveling this year. So ladies and gentlemen, got anything for me?
  2. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    For starters I would have your Dh start writing letters to your DD ( cards even) just for her. I would also have him do some story time for her via cd or tapes. Him reading stories to her so she can listen to them. Even doing videos from him just to her where she doesn't have to talk back but she can watch when she feels comfy. The big thing is ease her into it rather then forcing her ( which she probably feels like you are doing) on his terms kwim.. Best thing is communication from him to her JUST for her. letting her know that he misses her.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

3. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    I also think that the lack of stability (The fact you've been travelling the whole deployment) probably doesn't help because she's constantly being dislodged from the place that she calls home (where Daddy is). I agree with what Michelle suggested.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have no kids, so no advice, but I'm so sorry this is happening! I hope it gets better soon!!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    For starters I would have your Dh start writing letters to your DD ( cards even) just for her. I would also have him do some story time for her via cd or tapes. Him reading stories to her so she can listen to them. Even doing videos from him just to her where she doesn't have to talk back but she can watch when she feels comfy. The big thing is ease her into it rather then forcing her ( which she probably feels like you are doing) on his terms kwim.. Best thing is communication from him to her JUST for her. letting her know that he misses her.
    Have you thought of getting a Daddy Doll too? My DD responded very well to that at 16 mths. He's just done deployed again (she's just over 2) and she's transitioning very well because she's taking her Daddy Doll to do things and talks to it. We've very clear about the distinction between Daddy and Daddy Doll, but she's never had an issue with that.

I don't know how much traveling you're doing, so I can't really comment on that. However, we went overseas to visit my family during his last deployment and it didn't confuse her. We weren't traveling around to lots of different places, but it was still a complete change of environment. DD did fine during the trip and transitioned back here fine. But then, every kid is different.

Have you got the Sesame Street Deployment DVD? If not, I would recommend you get it (your FFSC should have it or you can order it free on Military OneSource). That helps explain it. I really do recommend the videos of storytime, etc. That worked really well for DD.

Also, maybe for another deployment, try setting up webcam stuff with other members of the family that she knows (Grandparents, Uncles, etc.) so she gets used to seeing people she knows and loves through that as a normal thing. That will make it easier to transition to seeing Daddy on there. Again, that's something we've always done with DD since my family is in England, and it made it a lot easier when he was gone for her to understand the webcam and what we were doing.
  6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    I also think letting her talk to him on her terms. when she is in control she may respond easier when he does come on for her to talk to via webcam. but I also agree with Petsparkle on regular webcaming with other family members. ( even if you all are in the same house.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

7. Seabee Wife
    Seabee Wife
    Thanks for the suggestions but I am not feeling too confident about them.
    He has done a video for her and she runs screaming from the room at the sight of him or the sound of his voice when I turn it on. I can call him and webcam with him pretty much when ever I want so if she even brings up the idea of talking to Daddy I call but then she freaks out. She has webcammed with others. Because our family members are on seperate coasts we use a webcam a lot. This is nothing new for her. She talks to my mom, dad, brothers, and friends every week. She goes to the computer and tells me who she wants to talk to pretty often, just like she brings me my phone and tells me who to call. It's often my Dad or Uncle Tom that she requests to see or talk to. She's far from being a shy child.
    I haven't bought her a Daddy doll because I don't know much about them but the name sounds creepy. Not to mention that she seems to care about a stuffed friend for a grand total of a week before it ends up shoved to the bottom of her toy box.
    I have been meaning to pick up the Deployment video for kids but I didn't know where to get it so thank you. That was useful info.
    As far as the traveling, she's really been adjusting better than I expected. I make sure I establish her space and her stuff where ever we go. I keep a lot of items with us no matter where we go so she has that sense of stability. (It's a good thing I have a truck) Her schedule stays consistant and so do many other things.
    For those that don't know we have spent 3 months in North Carolina and Virginia. We have stayed at my MIL and FIL as well as my BIL and SIL homes. We did a week trip down south but she has done week trips before. Sara is used to a little bit of travel because we go from San Diego North to Ventura county all the time to stay with family and friends. We do a lot of weekend or week long trips. We will be leaving the east coast this week to go back to California for a couple of weeks then we will be in Oregon for a couple of months staying with my mom. When DH returns from deployment we will join him back in San Diego.
    I knew this wouldn't be cake but I also knew that we'd have more fun and the time would fly if we didn't sit at home waiting for my husband to return. I was thinking that I should take advantage of this time to travel and visit family. We only see some members once a year because we are on different coasts. Sara surprised me by remembering details about people and places from our previous visits and our communications. She remembered the animals and layouts of homes the best. Even though we see Granddaddy and Grandmama once a year she remembered the cats and where her room is. (They have a large home, she has her own room here that stays the way she leaves it. It was DH's room and it had been untouched since he left for the Navy before it became her room)
    There has been a slowing in her potty training and her doctor advised me not to take away her bottle because it's her security item until next year. Other than that, she's been doing exceptionally well. I also realize she is potty training early and it was her choice so I'm just going with the flow and following her leed anyway. So neither has me really worried. She sleeps fine at night, is really independant, is a confident child, is bright, and only acts up about as much as her peers. Sure, we have tantrumes but who doesn't with a 2 year old? So yeah, this is her big acting out thing.
    This is her first real deployment. Last time Daddy deployed she was born. Daddy goes away a lot but he comes back after a week or two. She was fine for the first month. It's been the last two that she's freaked out. I think the first month she kept expecting him to walk in the door. She used to talk to him on the phone all the time. She'd call him on his trips or at work just about every day. We would webcam in the evenings when he was away. I really feel like after a month she just decided he wasn't coming home. That's when she got mad. Now she's just stayed mad.
    So yeah, that's the stuff I didn't type before. I think I've covered the bases. Now I'm going to bed. Night all, and thanks again for you input. Kepp it coming if you like. I will try what you all suggested but I want more info on the Daddy doll before I think about that one too seriously. Sorry about the novel, I get wordy when I am alone late at night and still up. Wait, I'm wordy all the time. So scratch the first part, I think I just get worse when I'm alone and awake.
  8. Seabee Wife
    Seabee Wife
    Of course, as usual, Sara has made a liar out of me. She asked to talk to Daddy today and even told him she loves him. It made him cry. Heck, it made me cry. I hope this lasts but I'm not holding my breath. Afterall, it is the first time in 2 months she has been willing to talk to him. I just know that when she asks to talk to him I'm picking up the phone asap like I did today.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm so happy that she finally talked to him! Thats a great step in the right direction!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I'm so happy that she finally talked to him! Thats a great step in the right direction!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast