Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Deployment w 1yr old

1. Senior Member

Confused Deployment w 1yr old

Advertisements
    I didn't know if I should put this in the preparation for deployment section or this one. I am worried about how my son is going to do when daddy deploys. He will be just a little over the 1 year mark and we'll likely be moving into housing shortly after so he's going to have to deal with daddy being gone and being in a new place. I have no idea what to expect! Does anyone have any advice or experience? I am just so worried that he's going to act out or be sad because he doesn't understand why daddy is gone. I also worry that he might forget him while he's gone because we're very likely looking at several more months than the typical 6. It's still a few months off, but I just know it is going to sneak up so quickly and smack us right in the face.
  2. Senior Member
    I have just started on this journey with Russell. Although he is 20 months old. I have the same fears. He has been fine thus far but I am really worried about how he will be when Mark gets home.
    [
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAmom4721 View Post
    I didn't know if I should put this in the preparation for deployment section or this one. I am worried about how my son is going to do when daddy deploys. He will be just a little over the 1 year mark and we'll likely be moving into housing shortly after so he's going to have to deal with daddy being gone and being in a new place. I have no idea what to expect! Does anyone have any advice or experience? I am just so worried that he's going to act out or be sad because he doesn't understand why daddy is gone. I also worry that he might forget him while he's gone because we're very likely looking at several more months than the typical 6. It's still a few months off, but I just know it is going to sneak up so quickly and smack us right in the face.
    Hi, from what I have seen and heard...alot of my friends take Family Videos and Pictures....Daddy is in every shot...and they show the videos and pics to the kids weekly...

If you still have time, you can take video of him and daddy at a park...anywhere you can imagine...enough to last you...try to take one video every week until deployment...i hope it helps!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Breanna was just short of 11 months when John left. She was a bit stand offish when he got back but within 2 days she was acting as if he had never left.

What we did was keep pictures of him up around the house and I would point out that was daddy. I would also go through our photo albums with her so she could see more pics of him. Whenever he would call I would let her hear his voice. We were going to do videos but never got to it. I'm definetly going to have him record mesages on tape and video when he leaves next time since it will be the first for both boys.
  5. Senior Member
    my son did fine till he was like 2 almost 3 then he started to relize that daddy isnt walking through the door. every now and then he'll wake up early like around 3 or so and walk into our room and ask for daddy and when he doesnt answer he'll cry a little and climb into bed with me.. but i keep tellin him that daddy will be home and everything will be ok and some days are good and some are worse it just depends..
  6. Regular Member
    they say that most kids have excallent memorys and dont forget the sound of voices or faces when my son was 2 months old my husband left for three months and came home when he was 4 months old and my son never forgot the sound of his voice it dose take time though just show him/her pictures and let them talk to him on the phone and it should help.
  7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    We haven't been through a "true" deployment, but we have gone through long periods of time away from my husband.

On a daily basis, I had Ethan kiss Daddy's picture at least once a day. Putting my husband's picture as the background on my phone helped too!!! It's important to not "allow" your child forget who Daddy is.

The Elmo deployment video is good too!!!