Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: 2 year old acting out!!!

1. Live, Laugh, Love
    Live, Laugh, Love
    Camp Pendleton....wishing i was still in Okinawa.

Help 2 year old acting out!!!

Advertisements
    I don't know if acting out is the correct way to put it but my DD is 2 1/2 and she is now feeling the deployment blues, we are at our half way mark but now she don't want me to do ANYTHING for her she always says "I want daddy to do it" I feel like shit because I think she hates me and I also feel bad because DH is not here. I'm not talking about a few things she wants daddy for EVERYTHING!!! I feel...... I don't know what to feel what should I do, I've explained to her what's going. I don't know...
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have not dealt with this yet on a deployment scale, but Liam was that way when DH was gone for training. All I could do was tell him when daddy would be back, and do it for him anyway It hurt but you just kind of have to.

I'm so sorry, I hope someone who can give better advice comes along soon!! I just want to give you lots of and
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    well you might need to tell her that daddy isn't home i really recommend my counting up and putting a special treat in daddy for a jar so she really can look forward to him coming home and giving him a gift. maybe spray a stuffed animal with his body spray so that way she isn't sleeping in a shirt too big for her but still can smell daddy. its hard at that age because they really don't remember. so i have the KISS policy in our house. we don't talk about the war aspect they don't need to know about that, we tell them daddy has to go away to make sure the boat works, he is on a ship and we call it a boat. but we always tell them that he has to leave so someone elses daddy can come home. do you have any friends who just returned that she would know? and maybe another friend in a unit that will be leaving around the time your DH is coming home? that worked really well for my boys when they were that age it still works for my 6 year old. maybe see if daddy can send her a special little treat so she knows he is thinking of her. just a few ideas good luck girl its hard but she will be ok.
  4. Live, Laugh, Love
    Live, Laugh, Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    I have not dealt with this yet on a deployment scale, but Liam was that way when DH was gone for training. All I could do was tell him when daddy would be back, and do it for him anyway It hurt but you just kind of have to.

I'm so sorry, I hope someone who can give better advice comes along soon!! I just want to give you lots of and
    Thanks Loretta
  5. Live, Laugh, Love
    Live, Laugh, Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Taressa View Post
    well you might need to tell her that daddy isn't home i really recommend my counting up and putting a special treat in daddy for a jar so she really can look forward to him coming home and giving him a gift. maybe spray a stuffed animal with his body spray so that way she isn't sleeping in a shirt too big for her but still can smell daddy. its hard at that age because they really don't remember. so i have the KISS policy in our house. we don't talk about the war aspect they don't need to know about that, we tell them daddy has to go away to make sure the boat works, he is on a ship and we call it a boat. but we always tell them that he has to leave so someone elses daddy can come home. do you have any friends who just returned that she would know? and maybe another friend in a unit that will be leaving around the time your DH is coming home? that worked really well for my boys when they were that age it still works for my 6 year old. maybe see if daddy can send her a special little treat so she knows he is thinking of her. just a few ideas good luck girl its hard but she will be ok.
    Thanks Taressa, I think I'm going to try the goodies jar thing. Thanks again
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by marinewife_sd View Post
    Thanks Taressa, I think I'm going to try the goodies jar thing. Thanks again
    oh any time i have lots of great ideas and somethings i have tried with my boys and they failed misreably some worked like a charm but didn't work for others i am always looking for ideas, i honestly firmly believe the hardest job in the military is being a military brat!
  7. .x.MiSS.LADi.x.
    your not the only one-- my 2yr old son is acting the same way [dh is in training] he hasn't said "i want daddy to do it" but he does things knowing if his dad was here he wouldn't...DH has more authority then me obviously lol...
  8. Senior Member

Big Grin

You know at 2 years old most children begin to favor one parent over another. They are starting the assertion of independence and the need to have control in their lives and their choices. I went through the same issue whrn David was 2(now 5) and my hubby was deployed on the ship. He wanted Daddy for EVERYTHING. It does make you feel unwanted and unloved, but just know that they too have a hole in their hearts that they want to fill and some more than others that they may push you away. With David I made a paper chain that we took a link off of every night before bed and we had a video of daddy singing and reading his favorite stories which helped alot A friend of mine took a picture of each of her boys and framed the 8x10 and placed it by their beds so that they could kiss and say goodnight to daddy everynight and at naptime. I think the shirt or stuffed toy with daddy's colonge is an awesome idea...we used a blanket that was used for special TV times with daddy and I just kept refreshing it with daddys colonge and deodorant spray. Also at 2 1/2 kids love to draw and paint and color....Let her!! and make it a specail outing to mail this letter off at the post office to her daddy. It will give her more control and allow her to feel closer to daddy. If you can record a conversation from your hubby and play it over and over for her!! If you need to chat just drop a line. This was a tough stage for David, but we roughed it out. Know that she still loves you and this is only a phase!!!
  9. Live, Laugh, Love
    Live, Laugh, Love
    Thanks ladies, I happy that her actions are somewhat normal. Since the last time I posted it things has gotten worst with her. Ever since DH left I gave her a huge pic of him and she kisses it good night all the time and I also made a video recording of him the day he left and she watches it everyday. I just hope things get better soon, She was always a daddy's girl.
  10. ilovemickeymost
    Quote Originally Posted by Taressa View Post
    oh any time i have lots of great ideas and somethings i have tried with my boys and they failed misreably some worked like a charm but didn't work for others i am always looking for ideas, i honestly firmly believe the hardest job in the military is being a military brat!

I feel so guilt sometimes b/c they have to go through this.
    This is so typical 2 yo. If she wan't saying him do it, she'd be saying I do it & not letting you help. My son started favoring me over DH right before he left. Timing? It was so hard b/c DS did want DH to hold him or anything. Google Elmo deployment. The military has an Elmo video where his daddy goes away. Its free & DS watches it almost everyday.