Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I wish I had a gas powered stove...

1. Regular Member

Bang Head I wish I had a gas powered stove...

Advertisements
    Okay everyone...I need help.

I have an electric stove top and I HATE it for several reasons. But does anyone have any tips on how they keep theirs clean? Even home made products that work really well?

I swear, something boils over and just cooks itself right onto the damn thing and depending on what it is, it's hard to get off after it cools down and I'm able to clean up the mess.
  2. Senior Member
    I've always had electric until moving into this house and it's been a big change to get used to. Back when I had electric I would use dawn dish soap at first and if anything was stuck on I would use white vinegar and a little bit of baking soda. If that still doesn't work I would look at store bought oven cleaners. My sister always used an all purpose glass cleaner for the stovetop, oven door, windows, etc and she said it took everything off easily.
  3. Senior Member
    razor blade. Use it to get off stuck on food. I use bar keepers friend or a cleaner made specifically for electric stovetops.

4. Senior Member
    I had a gas stove and it was a PITA trying to get burned on grease off the stove grates. I had to put them in zip lock bags with ammonia for around 36 hours and the black stuff came right off. It sure made me miss those drip pans that electric stoves have. For the stove top I use Cerama Bryte and a razor blade to scrape off the really burnt on stuff.

5. Senior Member
    Razor blade....you can get one at lowes. I also used Weiman glass cook cleaner both heavy duty and every day depending on how much damage my husband did when cooking.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

if you have actual coil burners you can soak the silver liners in the sink; that is what we do. with the ceramic tops I know they make special cleaners but I've never had skill keeping those clean
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    Razor blade....you can get one at lowes. I also used Weiman glass cook cleaner both heavy duty and every day depending on how much damage my husband did when cooking.
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I had a gas stove and it was a PITA trying to get burned on grease off the stove grates. I had to put them in zip lock bags with ammonia for around 36 hours and the black stuff came right off. It sure made me miss those drip pans that electric stoves have. For the stove top I use Cerama Bryte and a razor blade to scrape off the really burnt on stuff.
    Tha razor blade won't damage the stove top? I thought about that but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for recommendations though, I appreciate it a ton!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Figgychick View Post
    Tha razor blade won't damage the stove top? I thought about that but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for recommendations though, I appreciate it a ton!
    Is it a common white stove top? If so, it won't.

The Cerama Bryte cleaner that I mentioned also comes in a kit that has a metal scraper. Although, I used an actual razor blade on mine.

9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Is it a common white stove top? If so, it won't.

The Cerama Bryte cleaner that I mentioned also comes in a kit that has a metal scraper. Although, I used an actual razor blade on mine.
    No its a black stove top that's why I was unsure of using a razor blade. I guess I could google for further info on this, I just wanted to hear from people that have actual experience because the last thing I want to do is ruin my stove top.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Figgychick View Post
    No its a black stove top that's why I was unsure of using a razor blade. I guess I could google for further info on this, I just wanted to hear from people that have actual experience because the last thing I want to do is ruin my stove top.
    no it won't damage it. I have a black one now, and I had a black one in the home we owned. If you're really worried, just get a kit made for cleaning electric stove tops. Usually comes with the cleaner and a little scrubber thing.