Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Food Saver Vacuum Sealer

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Question Food Saver Vacuum Sealer

Advertisements
    Anyone use these? I nearly picked one up last night, but decided to research a little further.

If you have one, what features do you really think it absolutely needs to have??

I'm looking at the following food savers that are available at walmart:

Rival Vacuum Sealer - Walmart.com

FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer - Walmart.com

FoodSaver V3230, FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer, Airtight Vacuum Sealer

FoodSaver V3425 Automatic Vacuum Sealing System ? Walmart.com

I nearly bought the $99 one... tips? suggestions? experiences to share
  2. ...
    I have the very basic food saver. I really like it but it just takes forever to cut bags, seal one end, then package the food. A good ziplock freezer bag works just as well if you try to get as much air out as you can.
  3. Senior Member
    I have the basic version of it and i LOVE it! Well worth the money. I seal everything since i buy meat in bulk alot. Before i got the vacuum sealer i was wasting so much food with regular freezer ziplock bags.

4. Senior Member
    I have the third one (V3230). It's way nicer than my old one that was dying. I like that it has the bag holder and it also has the cutter on there to custom size things easier. It's actually way faster than using ziplocks for me since the bag just rolls out and the cutter is right there. Plus I think it prevents freezer burn better than freezer bags. I use it for cheese (buy big blocks at Sams), meat, cookies and a bunch of things.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    I have the third one (V3230). It's way nicer than my old one that was dying. I like that it has the bag holder and it also has the cutter on there to custom size things easier. It's actually way faster than using ziplocks for me since the bag just rolls out and the cutter is right there. Plus I think it prevents freezer burn better than freezer bags. I use it for cheese (buy big blocks at Sams), meat, cookies and a bunch of things.
    That's the one that I was looking at getting

Glad to know it really does make customizing size much easier - it says it on the box, but I never know if it really is "better"

I love buying in bulk

Prior to moving (during the move in June, I lost all of my freezer/fridge items - they completely spoiled) I buy in bulk and would spend a ton on freezer bags, but to end up still having freezer burn; no matter how much I tried get rid of the excess air.

I plan on using it to keep/freeze berries, veggies, meats.... that kinda stuff
    Last edited by AwwSnail; 08-19-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: womp womp
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AwwSnail View Post
    That's the one that I was looking at getting

Glad to know it really does make customizing size much easier - it says it on the box, but I never know if it really is "better"

I love buying in bulk

Prior to moving (during the move in June, I lost all of my freezer/fridge items - they completely spoiled) I buy in bulk and would spend a ton on freezer bags, but to end up still having freezer burn; no matter how much I tried get rid of the access air.

I plan on using it to keep/freeze berries, veggies, meats.... that kinda stuff
    You'll be happy with it I think. I love mine. Got it for my birthday back in July. I like the added features.
  7. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by SubmarineWife View Post
    I have the basic version of it and i LOVE it! Well worth the money. I seal everything since i buy meat in bulk alot. Before i got the vacuum sealer i was wasting so much food with regular freezer ziplock bags.

I love my vac sealer. Even the basic one that I have is going strong after 5 years of use. Its alittle bit of a time investment when you're buying things in bulk and packaging, but in the long run, I think it works out sooooo much better. Great for occasionally water proofing things, and sending cookies in CP's for deployment!

www.SnarkyFit.com
  8. Senior Member
    I guess the one we have is the 3425. I LOVE it. My only suggestion is that you be sure to get some various sizes in bags. Also, make sure you know where to get the replacements (generally just make sure you're near a store that sells that model). Other than that, I LOVE it.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Good thread. I've been thinking of getting one. My current method of sucking the air out with a straw, while entertaining for my husband, is getting really old.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    Good thread. I've been thinking of getting one. My current method of sucking the air out with a straw, while entertaining for my husband, is getting really old.

I bet!

I'm getting super excited about this fall's harvest! I really want the organic farmer's market fruits/veggies but I've only been able to enjoy them on a weekly basis and not again until its harvest time again. I think freezing is the best option for items that I won't be canning