Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direct TV Question

1. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!

Question Direct TV Question

Advertisements
    We just inquired with a Direct TV salesperson at Sam's Club about being about to cancel upon receiving military orders. She answered, "Yes, you're able to suspend your contract with a copy of your military orders." I'm not satisfied with that answer, because I don't like to have contracts suspended, but rather cancelled.

So for those of you who have cancelled in the past with military orders, were you given any problems?!?
  2. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    We had Direct TV before we moved to San Diego, and we were able to cancel base on the fact that housing doesn't let you attach the dish to the house, and that we "didn't have a clear view of the sky" (people still kept them by getting a stand, I really don't know how this excuse got by with DTV.) It could have had something to do with re-location too! It was 3 years ago though, sorry. I hope more people give you a more clear answer. I, for the life of me, can't remember what the DTV installation dude told us when he was here not more than a month ago!! (yes, we switched back to them haha, they're cheaper believe it or not!)
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

We just moved our receiver with us and trashed the dish... but that was with Dish Network. As soon as we got the keys to our new base house, we made an appointment to have the new dish installed. It was fantastic.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    i asked some ladies in the area on a local msg board, because DTV is big out here:
    Yeah, you can. There's a law - Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act? - that allows military members special privileges when it comes to contracts like that if their orders interfere with the terms of the contract - i.e. not having to pay cell phone bills while deployed, etc.

If DTV gives her trouble, she needs to ask the operator to speak to a manager - sometimes customer service employees don't know about things like that.
    If you are relocating to an area that the services aren't provided, then you can break your contract. However if you move & they service that area, you will be bound to the contract.
    I was able to cancel my services last month due to moving home during deployment.
    If a spouse is deploying then you can use the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act. But when you relocate just due to military orders it's different.
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by wcchick712 View Post
    i asked some ladies in the area on a local msg board, because DTV is big out here:
    I thought the Soldiers and Sailor's relief act was for debts incurred before active duty? I thought the company would have to have a military clause in the contract. If it doesn't, I wouldn't sign...
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    The SCRA covers a lot, more than just debts. I do know about that.

I do realize that one CAN cancel with military orders, but when Direct TV exists practically everywhere, getting out of it due to "coverage issues" would probably be a moot point...lol! I'm just nervous that they'd suspend my account until all the months remaining are utilized at a future duty station.
  7. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    we have Direct TV and have had them for the past 3.5 years. They moved from our house out in town to on base with us. And now I have been looking because we are only short timers in base housing what to do as when I go home my grandmother (who we will be staying with this deployment) already has DTV. I have been told by the Rep on the phone that we can suspend it for i think up to 10 months in the length of the contract and that, that 10m goes on to the end of the contract so you don't ever lose it.
  8. Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    I haven't had the orders problem, but I will say that I hate DTV. We cancelled them early because they were charging us for things that we didn't have/order. It took them 6 months to get our bill situated correctly because they kept over charging us even though we called them every month to remind them not to do it. And then after we cancelled them, we continued to get billed monthly after we had already paid all the early termination fees and such. Its been ridiculous and we are still fighting them.

AND they say that you can still watch TV "even if there's a hurricane out there" but anytime it so much as clouded over and tinkled... nothing. No reception. Nada.

Honestly, I'd say find somebody else.
  9. Senior Member
    When DH got out of the military and we moved, we still had to pay the cancellation fee because they would only let us "suspend" our service.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast