Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essentials List

1. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    47.21%

Essentials List

Advertisements
    So, in my previous relationship I lost everything due to having to run out of the house for safety reasons and had to pay him money to take me off lease. I'm looking to move out of my parent's into my own place again with my daughter. I like the idea of minimalism and would love to have some ideas of things I might need, or some good stores I can go to to purchase things. Any ideas of how much all of it will cost? I'm going for middle to low quality things that will get me by for 1-2 years until my education is complete and I make decent income (about 20k+ more than I do now).
  2. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    92.96%
    IKEA always has everything you need, including basics, for a pretty affordable price. To me, furnishing a kitchen is the hardest part because there are so many little things you need beyond pots and pans. This section is really great because there are so many things you can get at IKEA for a low price that are pretty good quality. You can even go online and make a list so you know exactly what you need and don't get lost in there I also like shopping the Target clearance sales and HomeGoods for things like sheets, towels, etc as well as Bed Bath and Beyond because they alllwwaaayyss have 20% off coupons. I also like the Brandless website and AmazonBasics. You could also look into local yard sales, Craigslists/Offer Up/LetGo posts, and flea markets. If you're willing to put in a little work, it's really fun to get older stuff like dressers or tables, and give them new life with a good scrub, fresh paint, new knobs, whatever! The pieces that may look a little outdated are still built better than cheap particleboard furniture from a store and they last way longer. Also, if you're near a military base people move all the time, and there is always stuff being given away or sold. Same goes for a college/university area, there are always students giving away couches and furniture after the semester is over and they need to move out.

I am a huge fan of lists, you could google "first home essentials" and tweak it from there. Depending on how much time you have before you need to move, you can buy stuff for one specific area of your house at a time. Don't expect to buy everything on your list all at once of course.

Also, I always like to pack essentials I need but don't think to buy until after I'm moved in the house. For example last time I moved, I packed a specific box with dish soap, laundry detergent, TP, misc. cleaning supplies, paper towels, toilet cleaner, etc. so I had all of it ready when I moved in. It sat in my garage for a few months before I moved, but I was glad I had them ready. Anything to save me from just one more trip to the store or reduce the shopping list when I'm already exhausted from moving.
  3. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    47.21%
    Yes! Anything that has lots of sales. I didn't know that Bed Bath & Beyond had so many coupons, their stuff seems a bit pricey. But, I could be knit picking and just don't like spending money so it's hard to choose. I'd rather have more money left over for hobbies. So, re furnishing a dresser or something sounds like a fabulous idea. Plus, I love vintage looking things. I could live in an antique shop.

I'll have too look into the google list. It's so hard to not want to decorate because having an organized home is really relaxing, just not in my price range at this time. Like a couch, coffee table, and entertainment area would legit be good enough for a living room right now to me.

I really like having the cleaning box idea. I've also considered getting a steam cleaner for tiled floors instead of a mop. I feel like the investment would pay off because mop heads get so dirty and need to be changed out or washed often.
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    52.07%
    What KM said!

For cheap housewares look at the dollar store (you would be surprised), Walmart, and Homegoods/Ross/TjMaxx/Marshalls. For cheap furniture: Ikea (but fuck their shipping costs), wayfair, Craigslist, yard sales.

5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    53.88%
    I would check thrift stores, especially for kitchen items. Often they have lots of pretty good quality items, although a little dated or sets missing items. You can pick up a set of Corelle plates and some baking dishes. Flea markets are a great place to find higher quality furniture that is dated and just needs to be refinished or have a coat of paint. I also second Ikea, my living room set is from there. And it was meant to be a starter set but the items comfortable and have removable/washable covers (great for dogs and kids), five years later I still have them.

Don't go crazy and purchase everything at once. You can start with really basic essentials and purchase more and upgrade from there. Also, I would hit up any family members who you think have items they are looking to get rid of. You would be surprised how many people in your life might be looking for an excuse to upgrade. No harm in mentioning to a few people that you are moving out and setting up a home and if they have any items they just don't need anymore (e.g. dishes, couch, TV).
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    85.38%
    When I started out on my own I got most of my stuff second-hand, craigslist, friends of friends etc. My couches were probably my biggest win, found them 'used' ie the guy worked in the foreign service and had just gotten them and was getting re-posted. I also got a bunch of small appliances (toaster, lamps, iron) from a British lady who was moving back home and couldn't take those with her. Definitely mention to family and friends that you are starting to plan your move. You'd be surprised at what people have lying around and are just looking to get rid of, most of my dishes were from my parents' neighbors

Keep in mind that you really don't need much, and can slowly build over time. You really shouldn't go into credit card debt to outfit a small temporary place.
  7. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    86.34%
    I’ll forever love the dollar store. Some things are worth spending money on but you can find lots of kitchen and household items for a doll hair!

life's a party, rock your body
  8. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    92.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    What KM said!

For cheap housewares look at the dollar store (you would be surprised), Walmart, and Homegoods/Ross/TjMaxx/Marshalls. For cheap furniture: Ikea (but fuck their shipping costs), wayfair, Craigslist, yard sales.
    I will forever love that you road tripped to IKEA for one thing because of their outrageous shipping costs.
  9. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    47.21%
    How crazy are the shipping costs, do they really outweigh the price for gas oh my gosh lol.
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    52.07%
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I will forever love that you road tripped to IKEA for one thing because of their outrageous shipping costs.

I constantly debate if 5 hours was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    How crazy are the shipping costs, do they really outweigh the price for gas oh my gosh lol.
    I wanted a $150 shelf and the shipping was like $150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast