Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Best method for getting rid of mildew smell in towels?

1. Regular Member

Best method for getting rid of mildew smell in towels?

Advertisements
    DB has a habit of either leaving wet laundry sit in the washer for a while before transferring to the dryer, or leaving half-dried loads of laundry sit in the dryer (like when one dryer cycle wasn't enough), resulting in a gnarly mildewy smell. The issue is the most pronounced with towels (presumably because they're the most absorbent, as well as the most difficult to dry). While the root of the habit obviously needs to be addressed (), I've done some Pinterest searching on how to get rid of the lingering mildew smell that seems to have set into the towels, but I've come away with a very wide range of suggestions, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has successfully eliminated such grossness (a simple re-wash doesn't seem to be cutting it) and would be willing to share their wisdom? I'm frankly at the point where I'm ready to chuck all the towels (and/or burn them as a biohazard) and start over, but then I'm sure it would just be a matter of time before we were right back here...
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    add white vinegar to the pre-wash cycle. I usually add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup per load. It also keeps colors from running.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Throw them away and buy new ones. : that's what I would do.
  4. Regular Member
    I second the vinegar if new towels aren't in the cards. It's taken away the terrible smell of a few of my husband's shirts. It didn't make his uniform run either.
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I do a pre-soak in water with oxyclean, and then add the vinegar like the others suggested.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Senior Member
    Vinegar with a soak, and wash as hot as possible. If your washer water does get super hot on its hottest cycle, you can actually dump in some super hot water from a kettle as it is filling.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Regular Member
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I will definitely try the vinegar trick...and if that fails, new towels it is, lol.