Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microwave with a metal grate?

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Microwave with a metal grate?

Advertisements
    Sorry I've been MIA we just moved from TX to FL and finally got our Internet set up today!

Has anyone had a microwave with a metal grate in it? I was totally shocked when I opened the microwave at our new house and it there was a metal tray inside.

I read that some are designed that way, and the metal is ok because it's held to the side with plastic clips and doesn't touch anything. But it freaks me out!

Also there is the regular glass rotating tray thingy at the bottom too, anyone know when you're supposed to use the grate and when to just use the regular tray?
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Is it a convection oven too?

Our microwave has two dark metal rounds, a glass one and metal baking trays because it can be used in various modes. We actually don't even use our double wall ovens because the microwave heats the house less but cooks well.
  3. Senior Member
    Is it just a microwave or a microwave oven?
  4. Senior Member
    ours had one when we moved in, but dh noticed a small burn hole in the door, right by the metal grate. he suspected it was left in while the microwave was in use and that's what caused it.
    I don't know the difference in a microwave and a microwave oven?
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm trying to figure that out! My aunt told me there are some that are combination convection ovens. There's not a manual so I'll have to look for the model number and google it. But all the buttons and stuff just look like regular microwave buttons, like there's not anything for different modes of cooking that I saw.

It looks like this inside:
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

That looks similar to ours. Depending on the buttons/options on front I would guess that you take the metal wrack out when microwaving, and take the glass out when using the oven option
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I'm trying to figure that out! My aunt told me there are some that are combination convection ovens. There's not a manual so I'll have to look for the model number and google it. But all the buttons and stuff just look like regular microwave buttons, like there's not anything for different modes of cooking that I saw.

Nope, just a microwave. A combo with oven would have heating elements in the top.

You can use the garage to double the capacity, it two plates of food, one on grate one on turntable.
    Turn tables advantage is it Cooks more evenly.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Senior Member

We had one in our first rental here in TX and it sparked and caught fire while using it once so we didn't use it after that. It sparked where the metal and plastic clip met, on the right side in the back. We did use it for a few months before that happened, probably three-four months because it happened after hubby arrived and he arrived three months after we did.
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Nope, just a microwave. A combo with oven would have heating elements in the top.

You can use the garage to double the capacity, it two plates of food, one on grate one on turntable.
    Turn tables advantage is it Cooks more evenly.
    Good to know! I didn't think about being able to cook more food at once. I've always had one with a turntable so will definitely have to watch out for uneven cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by daisyluvbug View Post
    We had one in our first rental here in TX and it sparked and caught fire while using it once so we didn't use it after that. It sparked where the metal and plastic clip met, on the right side in the back. We did use it for a few months before that happened, probably three-four months because it happened after hubby arrived and he arrived three months after we did.
    I'm totally afraid something like that is going to happen! I hope it didn't damage your home too badly. Especially with DH being gone for a while I am probably just going to remove it ... we don't microwave lots of food at once anyway.
  10. Senior Member

I'm totally afraid something like that is going to happen! I hope it didn't damage your home too badly. Especially with DH being gone for a while I am probably just going to remove it ... we don't microwave lots of food at once anyway.
    It only damaged the microwave and it wasn't ours so we let the landlord know and that was that. It was the first time in two years that we had a microwave and we still don't have one.

It was probably a fluke and just part of having a really bad rental experience.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast