Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello again and help pleaseeee.

1. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    Lv. Percent
    56.41%

Hello again and help pleaseeee.

Advertisements
    Hi everyone! It's been a year since I've posted but can someone tell me how to sell my house?

I am doing this by myself and the realtor I used to get the house no longer lives here. I have 10 months to sell it but I actually want to know what helps it sell faster? Do I paint the whole house white inside? I already put real grass in the back yard.

Also how do I pick a realtor? Should I just go through USAA? IDK.

2. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    63.78%
    Can you ask your realtor if they have any connections or recommendations that are still in the area?
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    3.45%
    Painting the walls back to white wouldn't hurt...

From a renter's perspective I really hated that most houses in this town had all different colored walls in each room. The two (yeah just 2) houses we saw that had white walls looked SO much better than the ones with ugly random colored walls.

4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Lv. Percent
    6.7%

I just listed my house this weekend and we did paint the walls white. But ours were a really dark blue color we just never bothered to repaint while we were living here, if yours aren't that "off" from neutral you might not need to? I wouldn't start paying for any changes until you've spoken to a realtor you click with/trust and gotten recommendations from them. If you enjoyed working with your old realtor I agree with reaching out to them for a referral or even reaching out to their office and seeing if there is someone else there who will work with you.

This is going to sound bad, but in terms of selling I think one of the things that can make things take longer is the buyer's financing. When we sold our home we were in escrow FOREVER because the buyer was using some sort of low income grant from the city and there was a crazy amount of red tape that tied up closing for weeks and weeks. We put up with it because it was a buyer's market but if I had my choice I would not want to work that kind of financing again. Also picking the right agent can really help!
  5. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    Lv. Percent
    56.41%
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I just listed my house this weekend and we did paint the walls white. But ours were a really dark blue color we just never bothered to repaint while we were living here, if yours aren't that "off" from neutral you might not need to? I wouldn't start paying for any changes until you've spoken to a realtor you click with/trust and gotten recommendations from them. If you enjoyed working with your old realtor I agree with reaching out to them for a referral or even reaching out to their office and seeing if there is someone else there who will work with you.

This is going to sound bad, but in terms of selling I think one of the things that can make things take longer is the buyer's financing. When we sold our home we were in escrow FOREVER because the buyer was using some sort of low income grant from the city and there was a crazy amount of red tape that tied up closing for weeks and weeks. We put up with it because it was a buyer's market but if I had my choice I would not want to work that kind of financing again. Also picking the right agent can really help!
    You're just like me... I left the walls the color they were which is literally a rainbow. The down stairs is dark brown, maroon, and tan. Upstairs is white and orange in one bedroom, black in another, and then tan in mine. Addilynns bathroom is lime green and my bathroom is blue. So yeah I think I need to paint I guess I can start with getting some quotes for that.

I can follow up with my old realtor. Maybe I'll send him an email tomorrow. Do I need to tell my HOA I'm going to be selling it?

6. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    0.85%
    I have no personal experience in selling a home, but my parents flip houses as a hobby and their number one issue is the budget for renovation vs flipping price. My mother tends to put in features that 'she would like' so it's made some of their flips a...difficult sell, I would say. Not everyone is interested in a walk in pantry with an additional wall freezer...nor a pasta hook etc. One of the houses my dad actually built, the woman claimed she was allergic to the hardwood and covered it with aluminum foil.

Uh, and now my train of thought is kinda sliding away - I guess, try to put in some neutral touches like painting, but maybe be prepared to go down in price (or accept a lower offer), because you may actually save money that way by letting the future buyer do the renovations themselves.
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Lv. Percent
    6.7%

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterQueen View Post
    You're just like me... I left the walls the color they were which is literally a rainbow. The down stairs is dark brown, maroon, and tan. Upstairs is white and orange in one bedroom, black in another, and then tan in mine. Addilynns bathroom is lime green and my bathroom is blue. So yeah I think I need to paint I guess I can start with getting some quotes for that.

I can follow up with my old realtor. Maybe I'll send him an email tomorrow. Do I need to tell my HOA I'm going to be selling it?
    Oh ok yeah I'd probably start looking at paint. That is a lot of colors!!

I didn't need to tell my HOA I was selling ... only if I was going to be renting it out. Your bylaws might be different though so it wouldn't hurt to check.
  8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    28.73%
    Painting a neutral color is always helpful, also remove any extra clutter and furniture is super helpful! People need to be able to walk in and see how their life will fit into a house and if your life is all over the place they have a harder time doing that. If you have oversized furniture that takes up a lot of a room or a lot of pictures/decor on the walls or counters all of that stuff needs to be removed so the house has a streamlined look which is easy to see passed.

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    45.39%

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Can you ask your realtor if they have any connections or recommendations that are still in the area?
    Definitely ask your previous realtor if you liked them to refer you to an agent that is still there.

and 100% neutralize the walls if they are crazy colors. Maybe if it's like just a pink and a blue bedroom you could leave them if thats easier. also declutter maybe depersonalize anything that could be like offensive.

10. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Lv. Percent
    8.85%
    We just got done selling our house last week. We used the USAA real estate buying/selling service - can't remember exactly what it's called. I would 100% recommend to call USAA and have them explain the program. We loved it, especially because we had no idea what we were doing

Definitely make the house as neutral as possible. Walls were painted neutral colors, excess furniture removed, all personal items and knock knacks stored in the garage. We also got items just for pictures and showing, like clean white bath towels and flowers for the kitchen table. Where we're at it's a sellers market so we put the house on the market at the end of May and closed last Friday.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast