Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My ever-expanding succulent collection

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

My ever-expanding succulent collection

Advertisements
    Since I live in San Diego and the drought killed most of the roses on my patio, I decided to grow succulents instead. I've still managed to kill several but I'm learning. I made a custom soil blend that's 1/3 cactus soil, 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 gravel. The next one I plan to get will be an aloe or agave. Waiting til I see one that steals my heart and I need to adopt it

This one is called String of Teardrops. It's a hybrid of String of Pearls and String of Bananas.

This one has 3. The bottom left one is a Zebra Hawthoria (H. attenuata). The big wiggly one on top is a Ripple Jade. The one on the bottom right is probably a Golden Jade (not entirely sure)

This one also has three. The one on top with the flower stalk is a Reddish Hybrid of a Zanzibar Aloe. The bottom right is some type of Pachyveria (not sure of the specific cultivar) and the bottom left is a Spoon Jade (aka Ogre Ears).

This dude is a variety of Cereus cactus. He's much smaller than most of this type. He's also a little sunburnt.

This awesome one is a highly variegated sanservieria cylindrica (African Spear plant)

This one is a kalanchoe, not sure of the cultivar. Maybe "purple scallops" or "marginata"

The one on the left is Sedeveria "Jet Beads" and the one on the right is String of Buttons.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Senior Member
    Love themmmm succulents are the cutest plants
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Love themmmm succulents are the cutest plants
    Oh my god on Friday night DH and I were at a movie and afterwards we walked past a grocery store while we walked back to the car and I saw one I wanted SO BAD. And I kept telling him I needed it and wanted to adopt it and he was just like ".... they're not puppies you know... you don't need to rescue them"

he doesn't get it.
  4. Senior Member
    Those are so pretty! I tried to grow those too... but killed them. No green thumb here!
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Pretty! I

I have a severely neglected cacti garden and an aloe plant that needs to be replanted (It may currently have grown so much that it broke the plastic pot it was given to us in ). I don't know what any of mine are though so I call then things like "The old man cactus" and "That might be what you make tequila from plant".
  6. Senior Member
    So many awesome plants. I should get more cacti too since I tend to kill all others eventually
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Pretty! I

I have a severely neglected cacti garden and an aloe plant that needs to be replanted (It may currently have grown so much that it broke the plastic pot it was given to us in ). I don't know what any of mine are though so I call then things like "The old man cactus" and "That might be what you make tequila from plant".
    haha those names are awesome. I only started tracking the actual names of mine once I had several because I was starting to call them the same thing ("the pretty purple-y one").

I want to get a blue agave (tequila plant) but they get enormous and I am not sure I am ready to have a 5 gallon pot on my patio.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

So cool! I have done a little gardening but never ventured into succulents territory. I've always lived in the midwest so I typically try fruits and veggies and bee friendly plants.

I say take some pictures of new ones you want and put some sad puppy commercial song behind it for your DH
  9. Senior Member
    I love those! I've been wanting to try the kind that have strong magnets and they are like itty bitty half pots and they stick on your fridge. I wonder how those would grow.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    So cool! I have done a little gardening but never ventured into succulents territory. I've always lived in the midwest so I typically try fruits and veggies and bee friendly plants.

I say take some pictures of new ones you want and put some sad puppy commercial song behind it for your DH
    Hey, prickly pear cactus can survive outside in the midwest they grow wild (although sparse) in the prairies. Honestly though, most people grow succulents exclusively indoors, I just live in a friendly climate

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I love those! I've been wanting to try the kind that have strong magnets and they are like itty bitty half pots and they stick on your fridge. I wonder how those would grow.
    If you get those, I would put air plants in them (Tillandsia) instead of regular succulents. Normal ones won't do well with the non-draining pot + no regular sunlight.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast