Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-ugly my bathroom!

1. Senior Member

De-ugly my bathroom!

Advertisements
    Uuuuughhh. Base housing. Uuuuuugh.

Our bathroom here has pink floor tiles. They are an awful dusty rose shade, as though just pink wouldn't have been quite awful enough. But to add insult to injury, the walls are... I don't even know. It looks like laminate counter top material, maybe. It's like a fake marble print, but it's pale blue with beige marbling. And it's actually strips, like it truly was counter top material, applied to the walls with fat lines of caulk in between them, running floor to ceiling. The material is super shiny and smooth. It's really, really awful. I'm trying to figure out how to make it less ugly (because "pretty" definitely isn't an option). Any ideas? I can't nail anything to the walls because it would damage the laminate (or whatever the heck it is) but I'm assuming command strips would work. I've looked at vinyl wall stickers, but they seem pretty expensive for what you get. It's also pretty small and the space is tight, so anything that sticks out or takes up any space is out. Any other ideas for my monstrosity of a bathroom? Actually, we have 2.5 bathrooms, and all of them have the same "decor" along with awful white particle board looking vanities.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

My jaw actually dropped reading this. I'm not really a person who cherishes aesthetics and this still sounds awful.

Um....
    Well, if you can't paint it....they do make removable wall paper....but I dunno if you can do that...
    Hm.
    You count mount fabric on it - floor to ceiling wall hangings? If there's not good ventilation that might not work though. Don't want mildewy fabric all over.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post

My jaw actually dropped reading this. I'm not really a person who cherishes aesthetics and this still sounds awful.

Um....
    Well, if you can't paint it....they do make removable wall paper....but I dunno if you can do that...
    Hm.
    You count mount fabric on it - floor to ceiling wall hangings? If there's not good ventilation that might not work though. Don't want mildewy fabric all over.
    I thought about fabric, but the space is so tight that I feel like it would be gross because the walls are so close to the toilet that fabric is probably not a good idea.

I don't know if removable wall paper work work because of the stupid caulk seams. It's like a totally flat surface, with no texture at all, and then a divot where the caulk lines are. That would show, but maybe that would still be better. I'll look in to that.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I want to see pictures of the bathroom!

I think maybe one thing you could is like, you don't have a lot of space so you could get one of those shelf things that goes over the toilet - it would cover the wallpaper and give you more storage. Something like this?

And if the countertops are ugly you could get trays to put on top so it's not really taking up space but it'll help organize and cover the area at the same time kwim? They make some really pretty ones.
  5. Senior Member
    Sadly, we have a Japanese toilet (but not a cool one with a heated seat and all the other cool features) so the American shelves that go over the toilet won't work. The tan of the toilet is super tall so it wouldn't fit under one of those. I've looked for a Japanese one, but haven't found one that is high enough. (Last time we were here, our Japanese toilets didn't have tall tanks like this one, so maybe it's not a Japanese thing either.)

There actually is no counter top (other than what's on the walls!). It's just a sink with edges, basically. It's not a pedestal sink because it has a cabinet under it, but it's like the top is just one piece, and the cabinet is about the same size as the sink, of that makes sense.

I hate that posting photos here is such a pain. Why can't it be like Facebook? I have to upload to shutterfly, right? Is there some other way?
  6. Senior Member
    Okay, I found pics online. I can't link and you have sot scroll down a bit to get to the bathroom photo. Here. It takes a minute to load, and I think the colors are bit more subtle in the photos, but it give you an idea and you can see the unusual sink configuration at as well.

What's extra sad is that we are the "remodeled" version of this floor plan. The old version had tiled walls. Still ugly, but less so than blue laminate. Who though this was an upgrade, I have no idea.
  7. Senior Member
    I need to see pictures of this lol
  8. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I think the only thing that could improve the bathroom is orders.

I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  9. Senior Member
    It looks like an old hospital bathroom or something, what the hell
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It looks like an old hospital bathroom or something, what the hell
    I tell everyone that when I pee, I feel like I'm a minimum security prison. Blue and pink is the new black, bitches.

Renovated in 2001. They made it look like that on purpose. In this century. The walls had white tile before. Tiled walls isn't great, but it's better than this fake blue countertop wall shit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast