Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How to hang things on the wall

1. Senior Member

How to hang things on the wall

Advertisements
    I'm sure you're probably thinking "Uh, just put a nail in the wall and there ya go!" But it's not that easy, unfortunately. My landlord won't allow us to nail anything in the wall. We can hang things, just not by putting holes in the walls. So it makes it difficult to decorate.

I tried the command hooks and they don't work so well. You know how there are popcorn ceilings? That's how the walls are, just a bit smoother. So because the walls aren't flat, the command hooks can't lay flat and stick properly and they just fall off the wall along with what was hanging on them. I got the command picture hanging strips. But I'm afraid to try them and have the picture frames fall and break.

Is there anything else I could possibly try? I want to hang things on these bare walls!
  2. Senior Member
    If you can't put holes in the wall, command strips are really your best bet. Since the strips are pliable and the hooks are rigid, you might have better luck with them adhering to a textured surface. Maybe take the glass out of a frame and hang it for a bit and see how it does?
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

There is like putty stuff for poster type weight, but other than that I'm not sure. Option B) find a husband who enjoys making holes in the wall and patching them to look totally original. not that I have one of those or anything...
  4. Senior Member
    I used command strips on a weird uneven Germany walls with no problem. It sounds like you just need more strips to better distribute the weight. Put if 4 picture hanging strips for one picture, for example. (More or fewer depending on how heavy it is.) Also, let the strips sit on the wall for a day to really cure before putting weight on them.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If you can't put holes in the wall, command strips are really your best bet. Since the strips are pliable and the hooks are rigid, you might have better luck with them adhering to a textured surface. Maybe take the glass out of a frame and hang it for a bit and see how it does?
    I think that's what I'm going to try doing. I have three that are thin, very lightweight metal that resemble a clothesline. They have clips that you just clip the pictures to. And three others that are like a normal picture frame that have glass and the inside is like a clothesline with the clips. I don't think I'd have much of a problem hanging the lightweight ones, it's the ones with the glass that I'm worried about. They have some weight to them.

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    There is like putty stuff for poster type weight, but other than that I'm not sure. Option B) find a husband who enjoys making holes in the wall and patching them to look totally original. not that I have one of those or anything...
    Hm, didn't think of trying putty. I would just put nails in the wall and have DH patch them up but the landlord does stop by from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I used command strips on a weird uneven Germany walls with no problem. It sounds like you just need more strips to better distribute the weight. Put if 4 picture hanging strips for one picture, for example. (More or fewer depending on how heavy it is.) Also, let the strips sit on the wall for a day to really cure before putting weight on them.
    I'll try letting them sit on the wall for a day. Maybe that'll help
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Yeah, as a landlord my family has owned many properties, so I know how that can get with hanging picture frames on the wall without proper tools. Maybe try something less destructive or a custom frame that holds the photo and doesn't allow the picture frame not to thrust deep into the wall .
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Command makes all kinds of heavy duty strips too. Check out a picture-framing store near you to find the special types. DH and I have some that can hold 10 lbs per strip, they're awesome. We use them to hang paintings and a white board and some other stuff around.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Command makes all kinds of heavy duty strips too. Check out a picture-framing store near you to find the special types. DH and I have some that can hold 10 lbs per strip, they're awesome. We use them to hang paintings and a white board and some other stuff around.
    I got the hooks at walmart that hold up to 2.5 pounds and the strips I believe are up to 5 pounds. But I didn't think about looking at a picture framing store. I'll have to find one near me
  9. Senior Member
    Amazon has the heavy duty command hooks. Looks like the hold about 15 pounds each, and you can double or treble up.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Amazon has the heavy duty command hooks. Looks like the hold about 15 pounds each, and you can double or treble up.
    Good to know, thank you!