Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying my first big girl couch

1. Senior Member

Buying my first big girl couch

Advertisements
    Anyone have any advice? We are taking the time to get rid of hand-me-down furniture that isn't to our taste, our old crappy couch that seriously sucks, and pieces that are mis-matched and damaged by moving. For the most part, I've had an easy time figuring out what I want. I'm really struggling with the couch decision though.

I know I need to go look at couches in person and sit on them, which I plan to do. I also know what aesthetic I'm going for--I like casual clean lined couches. But I go back and forth on whether or not I want a slipcovered couch (some people love them and swear by them, others hate them with an undying passion), microfiber (easy clean up, but I hate the way you leave an imprint of your hand/butt/etc in them), or something else? I also want a high quality couch that will last--so kiln-dried wood frame, the hand-tied springs, etc. etc. I keep reading reviews of various couch makers and just when I think I've found a quality brand, I read reviews about the cushions not holding up, or the back pillows being slouchy, or something else that seems like it shouldn't happen for the amount of money I'm about to drop on a couch.

I do need it to be pet and kid friendly. Our large dog doesn't sit on the couch, but our small dog does. We currently have an 11-month old, and will probably have another kiddo in the future. Comfort and durability are the most important factors for me. Any advice? Brands you love? Pros/cons/practicality of slipcovered couches vs microfiber? Help!
  2. Moderator

We just bought a new couch, and I would say this: don't dwell too much on reviews. I was doing that and driving myself insane because no matter how good something seemed there was always that one review that would put me off from it. On every. single. couch. Eventually we just had to just go with what WE loved at the store. We did find a place that price-matched, so that we could get the lower prices we had found online. We also found a place that did free delivery and setup for military, but that would have been less important if I weren't massively pregnant and not in a position to deal with moving things.

We ended up with microfiber (kids), no slipcovers, back cushions attached, sectional. Those were my requirements. DH just wanted soft material and firm cushions, which only required him to sit on it to be sold.
  3. Senior Member
    I never looked at reviews for a couch because to me, it didnt seem important enough as compared to like a car or carseat.

In fact we bought a couch after we got here after using the futon for so long and at the last stretch of us getting everything packed and moved it got peed on ~.~ (that may have pushed us to get an actual couch).

What helped with our decision was checking out the styles and comfortability of the couches they had here. They looked lovely, but they felt like you were sitting on concrete.
    We ended up buying a couch off from someone, brand new too. We did end up sacrificing style for comfort, but it was worth it to us (Plus I can proudly say it is the same style and color of couch that they used in The Walking Dead in the interview couch/segment of Alexandria).

We ended up with a leather, non sectional couch and loveseat. Clean up is actually pretty easy. Our cat gets on it but he never scratches it, might be a different story if it was microfiber, he just wasnt attracted to kneading leather material.

Also the guy delivered it to us for free, so there's that.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Go with your first instinct! Don't be like me and walk into a HUGE furniture store and get so incredibly overwhelmed that you have a major breakdown. Pick something that goes and be done with it! (for the record, I had moved cross country *the first time I'd lived anywhere other than my little tiny bubble in the sticks* fought with my in-laws, wasn't sure I was making the right choice, and THEN, after driving for 2 full days and being INCREDIBLY exhausted, being pushed into furniture shopping with little to no sleep in like the largest furniture store known to man *have you ever heard of Nebraska furniture mart? It's kind of scary... think ikea with multiple floors of stuff but much more open with much more stuff visible when walking in the door* I had a lot of things going on, I was so overwhelmed I walked in the door and burst into tears it seems silly now )

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  5. Senior Member
    I spent a little bit more money that I wanted to on our last couch, which was a Flex-Steel. Virtually indestructible frame. I have already had it re-upholstered once and it feels, comfort wise, like the day I bought it. Not cheap admittedly, but I bet I would have bought a couple of sofa's in the time I have had this one.
  6. Senior Member
    My sectional has slip covers. It's so easy to just unzip them and throw them in the wash when needed.
  7. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Our newest couch I LOVE. It's a fabric that's a mix between leather & microfiber. Vacuums up pet hair so nice (my old microfiber tended to get "stuck") I'm also not worried about fabric color transfer. With our microfiber, we had it scotch guarded and everything, but the red pillows bled into the off-white color of the couch!

My advice is to not just sit on them, but really "live" in the couch. I saw too many people in the store just sit down for a minute, very properly and then get up and decide on it. Sit on the couch like you would if you were at home. Lots of furniture stores offer drinks/snacks. Sit down, have a drink. See if you still like it. Or, if you like to lay down on the couch like I do, actually lay on it!
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No slip covers, micro fiber, sewn on back cusions.
    I would have preferred leather, but, you know, cats.
    We went with laz-e-boy.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. Senior Member
    I have a Flexsteel reclining leather sofa and love seat. It was very expensive but I love it.

We found it early on during our search for new sofas, and we went to about 4 other stores just to see if we could find something better but nothing compared.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I have a Flexsteel reclining leather sofa and love seat. It was very expensive but I love it.

We found it early on during our search for new sofas, and we went to about 4 other stores just to see if we could find something better but nothing compared.
    I'm with ya on FlexSteel ... I love mine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast