Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Change/Upgrade/Repair in new home?

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

First Change/Upgrade/Repair in new home?

Advertisements
    What was the first thing you upgraded or changed or repaired after moving into a new home? I'm talking stuff like paint or new furniture or new fridge kind of things. Anyone have any memorable stories?

DH and I are still working on the house situation but we were browsing Ikea last night (terrible idea ) and discussing what we want to do first.

The first thing I want to do is clean the dryer vent lines. Inefficient dryers are the worst! DH wants to buy the guest bed first so people can come visit ASAP. Our agent said his choice would be to buy new curtains/blinds for all the windows so you know you have privacy.

We're making a spreadsheet of everything we want to get and ranking in order of importance with estimated price so that we can budget each month and buy things as they are needed so we don't go overboard and buy it all at once.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Oh goodness. The first thing we did was paint...a lot. I had poop brown and vomit green walls to get rid of! We did this all before we moved in though, it made it a lot easier.

We didn't really buy much furniture because we already had a bunch. We've replaced some major things like the furnace, septic system and water heater. We've added a row of trees, seeded a former field into a grassy patch, added a door to his shop, changed the kitchen faucet and the bathroom vanity. Next is carpet!
  3. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    There were 2 paint colors in the house that I absolutely HATED. Like... "could not live with them" hated So I repainted my master bedroom and the living room before I moved in. The thought of sleeping in a completely golden yellow bedroom (even the ceiling) made me want to vomit
    ~Becca~

4. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    we redid the floors. it was a disaster and if we had already been living in the house it would've been impossible. but that seems like a pretty rare need. solo, painted. but most specifically painted the ceilings. turns out that is really hard to do when there's stuff in the house, and it makes the house look soooo fresh.
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

We have replaced a lot of the light fixtures, all cabinet hardware, and added the wide blinds to the windows that didn't have plantation shutters. Countertops in the kitchen are next and then all of the dated ceramic tile throughout the house. Paint will change at some point before May (when dd graduates).
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We put in a water filter and softener system since we have well water and changed out the electrical panel.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    1) installed in ceiling speakers in the ceilings of each of the rooms on the main floor. Ran the speaker wires to a small amp and ipod in the living room.
    2) swapped out all the light switches for z-wave switches. All lights are now controllable through my cell phone.
    3) Swapped out the garage door opener for a belt driven one, instead of the chain one. Now, it is sooo quiet!!!
    4) yanked up all carpet and put in hardwood. I hate carpet.
    5) swapped out the toilet in the master bedroom for a full size one. I hate those tiny little round ones.
    6) swapped out the shower head.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Maybe this thread was a bad idea. You guys are giving me so many ideas to add to my list
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Senior Member
    We painted,put in wood floors, replaced the ancient windows andddd replaced the a/c and heater, it felt like we were literally hemmorraging money
  10. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

We painted before there was even furniture in our house because the colors were so horrendous we also installed cabinets in our master bath because there was zero storage in there!

Our second project wasn't really a "project" per se but we had a lot of stuff to hang up so DH was in charge of that. We have a list of things we'd love to do right now, our next big one will most likely be ripping the carpets up in the bedrooms and putting hardwood down. We want to redo the countertops in the bathrooms too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast