Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mortgage and Termite issues? Advice please

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

Mortgage and Termite issues? Advice please

Advertisements
    So DH and I are thiiissss close to finalizing our paperwork and closing.
    However, since we're using a VA loan, and they found 2 (only 2!!! In the GARAGE) termites during the inspection, they won't guarantee the loan until it's been taken of.

However, the seller won't fix it since it falls under the purview of the HOA.
    The HOA won't fix it because they have all the buildings on a treatment rotation and it's not time for this building yet and won't be for a few months.
    And NavyFed says there's no way they will back the loan until it's fixed.

Our agent wants us to go to a different lender, redo all the mortgage paperwork, and possibly (not sure on this point but..) do a not-VA loan (because the termite requirement is part of the VA specifically, I think...........?)

Dh and I want to just pay out of pocket to kill the little bitches and get it over with.

Would you do that? Any advice? I hate house buying.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

There were several items that we had to pay to repair for out of pocket thanks to the VA. We purchased a foreclosure and the selling bank wouldn't fix anything. It was worth it to us to do so. Just make sure you get receipts to provide the inspector.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would honestly just say fuck it an get the cheapest guys to go smash the bugs .

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Get rid of the agent and look for a new home.
    There is no such thing as only 2 termites.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    DING DING DING
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    DING DING DING

Dude omg this. THISTHISTHIS.

Run. Now.
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Dude omg this. THISTHISTHIS.

Run. Now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    DING DING DING
    I have been told, by many many people, that literally every house in So Cal had termites. Plus they're only in the detached garage!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The HOA bug contract should cover spot treatments at no cost to anyone. Maybe submit a copy of the treatment schedule for the HOA in its place. Calling the actual VA regional loan center directly and asking them what they think will work might work too. If you don't want to work that hard a spot treatment shouldn't be too expensive so paying would be the least heartache if you are emotionally invested in the house.
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm pretty much with Asher on this. We had a similar issue (not termites but formboards left on the foundation and trees needing to be cut back) and the sellers refused to do it and wanted us to. I really balked at that because even if we did there's no guarantee the transaction would go through and I'm not spending my own money to do maintenance on someone else's house. The fact that it's "2" termites is just even more of a red flag for me.

I also think suggesting a not-VA loan is a mistake, the rates are likely not going to be as good and you may have to pay PMI depending on how large of a down payment you were planning on putting down. Oh and if you were wanting to put 0 down that may not be possible if you decide to go away from a VA loan.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I was in my car so I could not elaborate more. So here it is.
    1) The agent. It is not your bank approving the VA loan. It is the VA providing very high standards to banks to determine whether the VA will guarantee a specific mortgage. If your house does not meet those standards, no bank will approve the loan, because the VA will not guarantee it. Your agent is supposed to be putting YOUR interests first. By telling you to change lenders he either does not know how a VA loan works, or does not care, and thinks he can get you around the rules. He is interested in his fee first. If I had to guess, I would guess that in this case he represents both the buyer and seller, ie he is the listing agent for this property. This is just a guess from my cynicism. If the owner doesn't care about fixing visible problems, what invisible problems has he not fixed?
    2) It is not that there were only two termites found. It is that the HOA doesn't care. As someone mentioned, they should have an agreement with the termite spray people to spot spray when termites are found. The buyer should care, because he will have trouble selling his home with termites. Do you really want to be a part of an HOA that does not want to make sure they are doing there job? That says "Oh, we don't care that the sidewalk has collapsed. This is not the year we fix sidewalks." etc.
    3) Always be willing to walk away from a house before you have paid for it. If not, you will get stuck with a money pit, or paying too much for a house.
    4) I would be willing to bet (not much, maybe a buck or two) that when you tell the agent that you are walking away, something will be done about it. If there was enough money in it for him, HE will pay to get the house resprayed. Or convince the owner to do it.

If your agent is saying to do a conventional (non-VA) loan, add in what Tojai just said above me. Even more reason to run away from the agent!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast