Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Inspection and Deciding what you're okay with fixing?

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

House Inspection and Deciding what you're okay with fixing?

Advertisements
    Sort of looking for advice here

The inspection on the townhouse DH and I put an offer on came back with some somewhat major things wrong:

1) Dishwasher is dead
    2) A bathroom door is missing
    3) Bathroom vent fans are dead
    4) Water heater probably needs to be replaced

So the dilemma is that the seller is a cranky old hardass and basically refuses to budge on anything. Our agent told is basically not to expect him to fix any of this stuff and at the very best he might give us a bit of credit for these items.

We really don't want to walk, cuz the neighborhood is wonderful and the market here is SO SO tough. We've put in 5 offers, and all but this one, people with cash offering 5-8% higher took it. In like 3 days. It's SO hard to get property here with a loan. The reason that we even got into this place is that the seller demanded it go on the market about 50K over it's actual value so no one bothered, and we got our offer in the day it came down in price.

So what would you do? Would you just say "yeah ok, As Is is fine" and keep moving foward? Would you walk?

Ugh, I'm just stressed. Although we do have some savings, we were hoping to put it towards stuff like paint/a bike for DH to commute with/plants for the patio, not "normal" things like doors and water heaters.

Any advice?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Senior Member
    Honestly, we did an as-is bank owned house and we only got things fixed that would prevent us from getting our VA mortgage. Anything else we have taken care of our selves.

FWIW we moved in with a broken garage door, an interior door as an outside door and a semi broken hotwater heater.
  3. Senior Member
    Those aren't huge things. I wouldn't let that stop me if I were in your position. Even if the water heater is a couple thousand dollars (not sure how much they run), it seems like that's your best option in th market you're in. Plus then you'll know you have a brand new system. I'd justify it by saying that even if it was fine for the inspection, it could have broken the day you move in and you'd be in the same position. I'd definitely use it to try and get some credit though.
  4. Senior Member
    Oh and we replaced our dishwasher a couple weeks after we moved in. Found a great deal at lowes. It was like $350 delivered and installed.
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    Honestly, we did an as-is bank owned house and we only got things fixed that would prevent us from getting our VA mortgage. Anything else we have taken care of our selves.

FWIW we moved in with a broken garage door, an interior door as an outside door and a semi broken hotwater heater.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Those aren't huge things. I wouldn't let that stop me if I were in your position. Even if the water heater is a couple thousand dollars (not sure how much they run), it seems like that's your best option in th market you're in. Plus then you'll know you have a brand new system. I'd justify it by saying that even if it was fine for the inspection, it could have broken the day you move in and you'd be in the same position. I'd definitely use it to try and get some credit though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Oh and we replaced our dishwasher a couple weeks after we moved in. Found a great deal at lowes. It was like $350 delivered and installed.
    You guys are making me feel better, thanks

So there's tenants in the townhouse right now and apparently the seller told THEM it's their job to replace the dishwasher and bathroom door even though it's not in their lease and really isn't their responsibility. The wife was there during the inspection today and apparently was really worried DH was going to be mad at her and think it was her fault. Basically the seller is a completely-out-of-touch nutso. He still owes 150K on the townhouse, after buying it for 88K and refinancing like 7 times.

ETA: But yeah, we should just sit down and figure out how much those repairs would cost us. It seems to be less than I thought, there's nice water heaters at Lowes for like 500$.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    1, 2, and 3 are not big deals for me. All are easy fixes and not difficult DIY. When buying a new dishwasher you can wait and get one during a free installation special and not even have to DIY.

Water heater is what I would push to have credit for. It's a more complicated DIY if you don't have plumbing experience and plumbers can be expensive depending on the area.

I wouldn't let any of those stop the sale though.
  7. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    1, 2, and 3 are not big deals for me. All are easy fixes and not difficult DIY. When buying a new dishwasher you can wait and get one during a free installation special and not even have to DIY.

Water heater is what I would push to have credit for. It's a more complicated DIY if you don't have plumbing experience and plumbers can be expensive depending on the area.

I wouldn't let any of those stop the sale though.
    I agree. While I would let it stop the sale, I would really push for the water heater. That's kind of a pain in the ass to have to deal with.
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Are you using a VA? When we bought I'm pretty sure dishwasher was mandatory (which seemed silly). Other than that, none of those would have bothered dh and I. I thought we bought a lovely, totally liveable nice complete house and we've done 1001 upgrades/fixes anyway it is a giant can of project worms (in the best way possible).
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Are you using a VA? When we bought I'm pretty sure dishwasher was mandatory (which seemed silly). Other than that, none of those would have bothered dh and I. I thought we bought a lovely, totally liveable nice complete house and we've done 1001 upgrades/fixes anyway it is a giant can of project worms (in the best way possible).
    We did a VA lone and there wasn't a dishwasher at all.
  10. Senior Member
    You can buy as-is and have them throw in a home warranty so when the water heater goes it'll be a deductible to replace it instead of full price.

We're buying an old house where literally all of the systems are beyond useful life, and or agent advised us to just have the owner buy a home warranty for us and then have the systems replaced under that.

EDIT: as long as the appliance works at closing it'll be covered under the warranty..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast