Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bundles/cable/Time Warner

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    So I looked around, and if I am finding the right info, a digital antenna would net me FOX, CBS, and public broadcasting. That would work for me (I grew up without TV) but not sure what the husband unit would think about that.

Might be a Canadian station too, but it isn't showing on the listing.
    What you can receive on a digital antenna depends on your location. And by that I mean you exact location - how far you are from where they are broadcasting, are there hills in the way, are there trees in the way, how high can you put your antenna, etc. It is not exactly as straightforward as it sounds, especially if you are in a rural area.
  2. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    So I looked around, and if I am finding the right info, a digital antenna would net me FOX, CBS, and public broadcasting. That would work for me (I grew up without TV) but not sure what the husband unit would think about that.

Might be a Canadian station too, but it isn't showing on the listing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    What you can receive on a digital depends on your location. And by that I mean you exact location - how far you are from where they are broadcasting, are there hills in the way, are there trees in the way, how high can you put your antenna, etc. It is not exactly as straightforward as it sounds, especially if you are in a rural area.
    Yeah I forgot to mention the whole location thing. You can put your address into this form and it will tell you what stations you can get - AntennaWeb - Address
    ~Becca~

3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    on this tread because I have time warner for internet and it sucks!
  4. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    So I found the postcard that got me started on this - TWC offer for new customers: cable and internet for $49.99/month.

When I called yesterday (before this thread) - they were able to knock $21 off, but I am still paying ~$160 for our bundle. (And I don't really WANT the flippin' phone.)

Reading about Dish, they have data limits (and time restrictions). We spend ALL our time online - I don't know how much we actually use, but I suspect that is an issue.

I struggle with the idea of threatening to leave without really meaning it. I really WANT to leave, but I feel over a barrel, without a good alternative.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Bundles are a waste of money, they actually cost more in the end.

We have Verizon FiOS for Internet, DirecTV for television, and Vonage for phone. That all still came out cheaper than any cable/bundle whatever.. we've had DirecTV for decades, and no company has compared to them, IMO. In all my years with DirecTV haven't had one issue. I can count on one hand the number of times it went out, and it went out because the dish was covered in snow and couldn't receive signal, that lasted barely a day, as soon as the receiver portion was clear, we got signal.

FiOS, same thing.. not one issue, ever. Never gone down, no increase in price, speed isn't degraded, etc. Vonage.. again, can't complain.. how can I for $10 a month..

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Avoid Satellite internet... the speed of it is worse than DSL.
    Stick with cable internet or FiOS, whichever you can get in your area. If Time Warner cable internet and Satellite internet are your only options, stick with TWC.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Senior Member
    So I found the postcard that got me started on this - TWC offer for new customers: cable and internet for $49.99/month.

When I called yesterday (before this thread) - they were able to knock $21 off, but I am still paying ~$160 for our bundle. (And I don't really WANT the flippin' phone.)

Reading about Dish, they have data limits (and time restrictions). We spend ALL our time online - I don't know how much we actually use, but I suspect that is an issue.

I struggle with the idea of threatening to leave without really meaning it. I really WANT to leave, but I feel over a barrel, without a good alternative.
    Canceling the phone will likely only save you about $10 a month. You may very well not have good alternatives. We are also stuck without a good alternative, but our choice is DSL with a speed of up to 3 Mbps or satellite internet. I don't really want to switch to satellite due to the data time restrictions and the required two year contract. I have thought about a home hotspot but, again, I am afraid of the cap. We did get rid of Dish TV and just use the digital antenna, but our channels are limited and streaming is out of the question due to the speed of our internet.
  8. Senior Member
    We have Comcast X1 and it is seriously expensive. We have to weedle each year to get rid of the price hike. Try calling and telling them you will leave and see what they can do to keep you as a customer?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12