Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you find houses/townhouses/condos to rent?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

How do you find houses/townhouses/condos to rent?

Advertisements
    Now that my job situation is stable, I want to move closer to work. I work at a university so most of places around it are apartment complexes full of college kids. I'm not opposed to that, but I would prefer to find a nice townhouse or something to rent. Are there websites that people typically list private properties like that on? Every time a search townhouse to rent near the university I just get a ton of apartment hits. I've tried most of the big websites like rent.com, but I'm not finding anything. It's hard to believe that there isn't a single townhouse/condo/house to rent in this whole area so I feel like I'm missing something.

I Eelizah
  2. Senior Member
    Contact a realtor.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Try Zillow? They have sorting options so you can exclude regular apartments. Otherwise, Craigslist.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    I LOVE Hotpads! It pulls from all the listing sites and puts it on a map for you! So you'll get your CL ones, Postlets, realtors, whatever. If you go to the advanced filters, you can select the kind of housing you're looking for - single family, duplex, townhouse, etc.
    ~Becca~

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Contact a realtor.
    Realtors do rentals too? I always thought they were just for buying a place.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Try Zillow? They have sorting options so you can exclude regular apartments. Otherwise, Craigslist.
    I tried zillow and there was nothing in the immediate area I'm looking at and Craigslist was ALL apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    I LOVE Hotpads! It pulls from all the listing sites and puts it on a map for you! So you'll get your CL ones, Postlets, realtors, whatever. If you go to the advanced filters, you can select the kind of housing you're looking for - single family, duplex, townhouse, etc.
    I've never heard of hotpads, but they have a ton of listings. Thanks!!!

I Eelizah
  6. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    Realtors do rentals too? I always thought they were just for buying a place.

I tried zillow and there was nothing in the immediate area I'm looking at and Craigslist was ALL apartments.

I've never heard of hotpads, but they have a ton of listings. Thanks!!!
    Realtors are sometimes a pain because they can ONLY show you listings that are contracted with MLS, or something to that effect. Realtors will get a booking fee if they bring in the tenants so if the owner doesn't have that contract in place, a realtor can't show it to you. I went through that trying to find my current place and my realtor sucked, so I was looking up these places and sending them to her and she's like yeah I can't show you those. In the end, I found my current place on my own via Hotpads.
    ~Becca~

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We used zillow when we moved down here. We also have just driven around looking for complexes before.
  8. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Zillow or homes.com is what I use. We're not in a college town, so that may make a difference. Another thing we did was find a realtor and ask her to show us everything she could that matched what we were looking for.

9. Senior Member
    I'm in a college town and I searched near the hospital/google searched for "business apartments." My complex markets itself to non students so that helped. Realtors can do rentals but like someone mentioned before only if they are listed.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Contact a realtor.
    and look on realtor.com thats how i found mine and I'm so glad I have him working with me instead of having to deal directly with the other realtor (who is an issue) or directly with the land lord; personally i feel more protected from scams or being screwed over with a realtor looking out for my interests (which he truly is since I'm not looking at his listing)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast