Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furniture and Home Decor advice!

1. Senior Member

Furniture and Home Decor advice!

Advertisements
    So, we are PCSing in a week, wahoo! We are taking this opportunity to finally get rid of some crap furniture we've had and upgrade to real, grown up stuff. We made the mistake of buying a cheap, crap couch at American Furniture Warehouse when we moved into our CO house. I want a real, grown up couch that will last. DH agreed, but then balked at the prices of high quality couches. Is there some sort of middle ground somewhere, to get a well-made couch (that is as kid and pet friendly as possible) that isn't $2,000+? I'm totally ok leaving the living room empty until we can save up and afford to purchase a nice one, especially since we have what's essentially a living room and a den downstairs (where our current crap couch is going) but DH would rather go buy a couch at Ikea Any luck convincing a significant other of the need to purchase a high quality piece of furniture, like a couch?

Secondly, where do you purchase bedding? I love places like West Elm for duvet covers and bedding, but I don't know that I want to spend that much on guest bedding. Still, I want the guest room to be comfortable as we will likely have people stay with us pretty often. Do you buy a comforter set, or is it better to go the duvet cover + down/down alternative comforter route?
  2. Senior Member
    I loooove TJ maxx for bedding. It's hit or miss, of course, but I've found several nice Calvein Klein Duvet covers for much less than retail. As far as the couch issue goes, we're in the same boat. We're due for an upgrade but are really considering a 'downgrade' brand to last us through toddler-hood and our couch obsessed dogs.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I loooove TJ maxx for bedding. It's hit or miss, of course, but I've found several nice Calvein Klein Duvet covers for much less than retail. As far as the couch issue goes, we're in the same boat. We're due for an upgrade but are really considering a 'downgrade' brand to last us through toddler-hood and our couch obsessed dogs.
    I refuse to buy nice furniture living with this maniac dog. I got my bedding at Belk on a random sell and it's awesome, but I do love tj maxx!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    As someone who thought they found an amazing steal on couches at The Dump...SAVE FOR THE $2000 ONE. Omg. Worst purchase mistake ever was buying cheap couches. They're literally falling apart (like I'm constantly sewing then cushions together) and they're only 2 years old.

For bedding, try overstock!
  5. Senior Member
    For furniture, Remember, they are sales people, so you can negotiate pretty much anything. We are pretty good at negotiating, and we will walk if we don't get a good deal.. We got a nice Lay-z-boy top grain leather couch for a a decent price, less than $2k which was unheard of. Our most recent score has been a Ashley Signature (whatever there BEST level is called) sofa/love seat. It was fabric, but a durable fabric. They were originally $1200 each and we got them both for $1800 out the door with delivery and the protection plan. I like Ashley, their top level stuff is pretty decent and most of our house is furnished by them.

I like to change our bedding often, so I have a nice one we got from the wedding, but I also have some I got from the NEX on Black Friday for like $50.
  6. Senior Member
    Is there a Living Spaces near you? I think the couches are reasonable.

For bedding I like Macy's. It can be expensive but there are some good coupon days!
  7. Senior Member
    TJ Maxx or Overstock for bedding. For furniture I know it sounds weird to say but Big Lots. I got great (fake) leather couches for just under $600 I think it was for couch and love seat. Had them for a long time. They sell Ashley and other brand furniture. Than speaking of Ashley I love them. Their furniture is good quality. Sometimes customer service can be hit or miss but I have always had great service. And depending on where you are, if there is a RC Willy check them out. They can be expensive but they also have good sales. And check the base exchange as well.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DF and I have done A LOT of furniture shopping the last few weeks. Wayfair has great deals on nice Ashley furniture (and other brands) that's where DF and I are getting our couch. Wayfair has free shipping to your front door or you can add on "room of choice" delivery

9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Our couch was from Arhaus. It was like $2500 but so worht it. We have had it a year and it looks brand new- like, the cushions dont sink, they dont get ass imprints, and sooo comfy. I did 4 years in vet school of living with shit Ikea furniture...never again.
  10. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Our sectional is from Ashley Furniture and it's held up for about 2 1/2 years now, it wasn't crazy expensive. You can get a decent living room set for under $2K from Ashley if you shop the holiday sales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast