Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manufactured homes

1. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

Manufactured homes

Advertisements
    Manufactured home, trailer homes, moble homes, whatever you call them!
    Anyone have one? Give me the scoop!
    They have sure coked along way since my grandma lived in one. They can be so fancy now!
    We are maybe considering one, but finding land to place it on seems to be the hard part since the trailer home parks here aren't the best.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I live in one and my advice is DON'T DO IT!!!!! Crap breaks all the time and it's really hard to find parts to fix it. Everything is a weird size and the standard stuff you buy at home depot almost never fits. I'm remodeling my bathroom and I had to get a custom tub/shower, because I literally couldn't find anything that fit. Also, the fact that it isn't resting on the ground makes for a ton of issues. Most of which involve crawling under in the dark nasty mud to fix.

My house is about 20 years old, so they might be nicer now, but you couldn't pay me to live in one of these again.

I Eelizah
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    I live in one and my advice is DON'T DO IT!!!!! Crap breaks all the time and it's really hard to find parts to fix it. Everything is a weird size and the standard stuff you buy at home depot almost never fits. I'm remodeling my bathroom and I had to get a custom tub/shower, because I literally couldn't find anything that fit. Also, the fact that it isn't resting on the ground makes for a ton of issues. Most of which involve crawling under in the dark nasty mud to fix.

My house is about 20 years old, so they might be nicer now, but you couldn't pay me to live in one of these again.
    Very good to know! We are just beingong housing hunting and exploring all options. We don't plan to make a decision till next year. But we would for sure be getting a brand new home if we went this option.
    Clayton Homes | Manufactured, Modular and Mobile Homes
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

It can be much more of a challenge to use a VA loan on manufactured homes. Our realtor didn't even let us look at one (it's down the street from us and has seven acres! A church ended up buying it as their ...church ).

It's something to do with how it is anchored to the ground, I can't remember the exact rules, but just something to keep in mind.
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

What type of home exactly are you looking at getting? Modular homes can be considered different from manufactured homes ... they're assembled on site but they're permanent structures. Once they're built they're not really that different than a traditional house.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Also they can be expensive to insure.

I Eelizah
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    What type of home exactly are you looking at getting? Modular homes can be considered different from manufactured homes ... they're assembled on site but they're permanent structures. Once they're built they're not really that different than a traditional house.
    I'll be honest I just googled them a few minutes ago after driving past a "dealer" today while getting lunch. I figured they were different but I really don't have any knowledge of either type.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    I'll be honest I just googled them a few minutes ago after driving past a "dealer" today while getting lunch. I figured they were different but I really don't have any knowledge of either type.
    Ah gotcha I just wondered because it'd make answering your questions easier.

If you're talking about "trailer" or "mobile" homes they're also called manufactured homes. When it comes to getting a loan and getting insurance they're in a separate category from a traditional home. For example I can write a policy for a traditional home but my company won't underwrite trailers ... they do it through a different company. Also manufactured homes tend to depreciate more quickly over time so that's something to take into account too.

Modular homes are basically traditional homes they're just made and shipped in giant pieces and then assembled on site. Once they're built they're considered a permanent structure, pretty much just like a regular house. I'm not 100% sure but I think the lending process is the same as for a traditional home; I know it is for insurance.
  9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Ah gotcha I just wondered because it'd make answering your questions easier.

If you're talking about "trailer" or "mobile" homes they're also called manufactured homes. When it comes to getting a loan and getting insurance they're in a separate category from a traditional home. For example I can write a policy for a traditional home but my company won't underwrite trailers ... they do it through a different company. Also manufactured homes tend to depreciate more quickly over time so that's something to take into account too.

Modular homes are basically traditional homes they're just made and shipped in giant pieces and then assembled on site. Once they're built they're considered a permanent structure, pretty much just like a regular house. I'm not 100% sure but I think the lending process is the same as for a traditional home; I know it is for insurance.
    That explains ALOT! So modular homes is what I should look for more at least for being a bit easier on loans and insurence.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    That explains ALOT! So modular homes is what I should look for more at least for being a bit easier on loans and insurence.
    It definitely could be! Only thing I would look into is it sounds like you're looking to buy land and then put the house on it?

If your plan is to buy land and have a modular home constructed on site, definitely give the lender a heads up and see what they say. I'm not licensed or trained in home loans so my knowledge is really limited but I believe that might be considered a construction loan (similar to someone buying land and then having a builder come in to construct a traditional home). Those have different rules than a loan for buying an existing home too, so it might not necessarily be easier. I'm sure the dealer you're talking about can give you more info though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast