Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hosting an open house

1. Senior Member

Hosting an open house

Advertisements
    Ok so my sister and BIL are trying to sell their townhome without a a realtor. As such, I've agreed to be the rep at the open house tomorrow. Anyone who has done this or sold a house have any tips? I'm thinking of baking cookies before it starts. Does that really help? Lol. Haaalllp
  2. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    ive heard it helps because people think home when they smell fresh baked cookies.

we were also told by our friend who is a realtor to make the home not looked lived in. .... she said you could tell a family lived in our home there was pictures and just hominess to the house. get rid of it.
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickels View Post
    ive heard it helps because people think home when they smell fresh baked cookies.

we were also told by our friend who is a realtor to make the home not looked lived in. .... she said you could tell a family lived in our home there was pictures and just hominess to the house. get rid of it.
    I have bought a few homes over the year, and I disagree with this advice. I think it really depends on the house and the area.
    I have only bought one house which was completely empty. I don't need every room packed, but I want to see what the house looks like when it IS furnished, and who lived there etc.
    Not everyone is like me, but I don't think one "rule" applies. This also goes for "all walls should be white and nothing but neutral colors."
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member

Remove photos. Check! Thanks
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yeah, I disagree with the above, too. My mom's a realtor and I used to work for her. While she tells her clients to clean, declutter, make sure stuff is where it should be, she's never told any person in the 15+yrs of doing the job to remove pictures and not make the house lived in. She usually even stages empty houses with furniture, knickknacks, pictures, etc. to give them a more home-y feeling.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    I have bought a few homes over the year, and I disagree with this advice. I think it really depends on the house and the area.
    I have only bought one house which was completely empty. I don't need every room packed, but I want to see what the house looks like when it IS furnished, and who lived there etc.
    Not everyone is like me, but I don't think one "rule" applies. This also goes for "all walls should be white and nothing but neutral colors."
    Oh yeah there will be furniture. They are still very much living there, so buyers will be able to picture how to set things up. A cleaning crew is coming today too and we'll have those signs to put in the neighborhood.
  7. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    no not everything.. just get rid of the a family with kids lives here... pictures and toys.. even when clean looks crowded to those that maybe don't have kids. keep furniture out but maybe you keep 5 blankets out on couch for everyone to have if it gets cold... remove 4 of them. You don't need all of little johnies art work and report cards on the fridge.

make more sense?
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  8. Senior Member
    no not everything.. just get rid of the a family with kids lives here... pictures and toys.. even when clean looks crowded to those that maybe don't have kids. keep furniture out but maybe you keep 5 blankets out on couch for everyone to have if it gets cold... remove 4 of them. You don't need all of little johnies art work and report cards on the fridge.

make more sense?
    Oh yeah. They have a 3 year old and newborn, so clutter is their life. Going to get there a few hours early to make sure it looks its best.
  9. Senior Member
    Try to get contact info from the guests. That way they can follow up to address an concerns or dealbreakers with potential buyers.
  10. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Make flyers with the basic information about the house to hand to the potential buyers when they walk in the door, it's always nice to have refreshments for people (cold water and cookies). Make sure you don't follow people around, let them roam and look and let them know where you'll be if they have questions. When realtors hover people are less likely to really look and more likely to rush through because they don't like being hovered around. Before they leave make sure you ask them their opinions etc and give them contact information for how to make an offer.