Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So uh, this is super expired right?

1. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you

So uh, this is super expired right?

Advertisements
    I was going through the cupboard under my sink today organizing my cleaning products (don't judge, lol) and inspected my fire extinguisher.... I feel like this means it's super expired, right? How can it be from 2008, it has to be legal for them to exchange/service these way more often. It's not clear whether it was serviced, replaced, or what in 2008 but it says "void after 1 year" so I'm assuming that means this thing is at least 6 years old?. Am I missing something here? Should I call the office and have them replace it?

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm not really sure, I guess I'd call the office and ask them about it. Just wanted to say I respect a lady who cleans her cleaning products
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    with our fire extinguishers here at work the extinguisher itself isn't expired the inspection is expired. We have a company come out once a year and inspect them all then they change the date if they are in proper working order.

IDK how that works with personal extinguishers though.

4. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    I'm not really sure, I guess I'd call the office and ask them about it. Just wanted to say I respect a lady who cleans her cleaning products
    Gotta keep my sh!t organized! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    with our fire extinguishers here at work the extinguisher itself isn't expired the inspection is expired. We have a company come out once a year and inspect them all then they change the date if they are in proper working order.

IDK how that works with personal extinguishers though.
    This is along my line of thinking, too. I guess I should just ask the office how often they're inspected. It's not clear on the tag and I feel like if I called the 1-800 number they might not know/it might be more complicated than going straight to the apartment. I feel so dumb for not knowing this but I'd feel much more confident if I knew this thing was good. Thank you!
  5. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Gotta keep my sh!t organized! ;D

This is along my line of thinking, too. I guess I should just ask the office how often they're inspected. It's not clear on the tag and I feel like if I called the 1-800 number they might not know/it might be more complicated than going straight to the apartment. I feel so dumb for not knowing this but I'd feel much more confident if I knew this thing was good. Thank you!
    It looks like the last time it was inspected it recharged and inspected. Seems like the apartment building just isn't keeping up with what's been inspected and what hasn't. If it's something the apartment supplies then I would take it to the main office and tell them you want a current extinguisher with a current inspection and leave that one with them. I'd mark it on my calendar on my phone or whatever to remind me in a year to do the same thing.

6. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

My dad is a firefighter and I remember him saying you can contact the local FD and ask them if they can recharge the extinguisher and it's a small fee to do that if it is rechargeable. Some are only single use and once it's been used it just has to be disposed of. If not, with how old it is you would probably want to contact the city and see how to dispose of it since there are chemicals that prevent it from just being thrown out. The apartment complex should replace it though (at least I would think) since it is their business and having proper safety measurements in place for their tenants is something I would think would be a big part of their responsibility.

7. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Or just make your apartment complex do all of that too that is way easier!

8. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    It looks like the last time it was inspected it recharged and inspected. Seems like the apartment building just isn't keeping up with what's been inspected and what hasn't. If it's something the apartment supplies then I would take it to the main office and tell them you want a current extinguisher with a current inspection and leave that one with them. I'd mark it on my calendar on my phone or whatever to remind me in a year to do the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    My dad is a firefighter and I remember him saying you can contact the local FD and ask them if they can recharge the extinguisher and it's a small fee to do that if it is rechargeable. Some are only single use and once it's been used it just has to be disposed of. If not, with how old it is you would probably want to contact the city and see how to dispose of it since there are chemicals that prevent it from just being thrown out. The apartment complex should replace it though (at least I would think) since it is their business and having proper safety measurements in place for their tenants is something I would think would be a big part of their responsibility.
    That's probably what it is...I'm not so sure they keep up with stuff if they aren't reminded. In my old apartment (same complex), we had issues with the smoke alarms not being checked every six months. They would all chirp at different times, usually every few months lol. I had to call the office multiple times until something was done. I suppose that's what I get for being cheap and staying here I'll stay on top of the office and get them to check first, as I feel it's definitely their responsibility to provide me with working safety equipment! I feel rather dumb for not knowing basic fire extinguisher safety (I know how to use one, just not about inspections/charging it) but I'd rather check with them and learn and be sure I'm safe. Thanks ladies
  9. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova
    Hold up - your apt complex issues fire extinguishers for each apt?

My place really needs to step it up.
  10. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    Hold up - your apt complex issues fire extinguishers for each apt?

My place really needs to step it up.
    I believe it depends on which state you live in if your landlord legally has to provide them. I'd check your local housing/fire codes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast