Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying meat that is cruelty free?

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Buying meat that is cruelty free?

Advertisements
    OK so cruelty free might be a longshot ... but it does matter to me when we buy animal products that the animals are treated as humanely as possible. For example when we buy eggs, we always get the cage free, free range chicken eggs.

I feel like it's harder with beef though and especially pork. Like beef, I can usually buy grass fed free range beef.

But for pork it is the hardest, I don't think I've ever seen anything about pork. And I know factory farming can be AWFUL for pigs. I was buying bacon yesterday and couldn't find anything I felt super comfortable buying. Some brands said something about low antibiotics but then it said in the fine print that the FDA mandated lower antibiotic use, so it was pretty much just following the rules everyone has to follow.

Does anyone have any ideas or what do you buy?
  2. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Which stores are you shopping at? Have you tried Sprouts of Whole Foods? I don't know much more about any of it though so I'm zero help

3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We get all our food at HEB ... I felt bad too because I was going to buy a pork roast but all they had was the grocery store kind and I don't think those come from good farms. So I just put it back and didn't get it.
  4. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Yeah I get everything from HEB too so I'm pretty jaded about them

I know whole foods is very strict on a lot of the guidelines for the meat they sell and there's a couple in Austin that you could look into their products! Sprouts is a smaller farmer market esque store right in Round Rock off 620!

5. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Is there a Whole Foods near you? We buy all of our meat there because it's cruelty free, no antibiotics, no hormones, etc.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  6. One does not simply Ewok into Endor

For bacon look for applegate brand. I know I've found it at whole foods and target.
    Last edited by germy; 05-29-2015 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Typing on phone gragh!

7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I was looking at Whole Foods ... it's probably better than HEB but I just read their guidelines and I'm not sure how I feel about them. I'm going to do more research into them. I just wish some of the stores around here sold pastured pork but it looks like I would have to buy direct from a farm (not necessarily a bad thing, but less convenient )
  8. One does not simply Ewok into Endor

The only thing I don't like about whole foods is that the salmon and shrimp I've recently bought there were farm raised and not wild caught (which I knew when I bought it but was in a time crunch and couldn't stop at my usual place for wild caught seafood). And I could taste the difference.

I'm comfortable with their guidelines for their meat. They make sure the animals have plenty of room and aren't crated, that they're free roaming etc etc.

Plus their produce and milk are the beeeest. I try to buy as local as possible.

9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    The only thing I don't like about whole foods is that the salmon and shrimp I've recently bought there were farm raised and not wild caught (which I knew when I bought it but was in a time crunch and couldn't stop at my usual place for wild caught seafood). And I could taste the difference.

I'm comfortable with their guidelines for their meat. They make sure the animals have plenty of room and aren't crated, that they're free roaming etc etc.

Plus their produce and milk are the beeeest. I try to buy as local as possible.
    See, the bolded is something that's pretty important to me. But when I look at the Whole Foods guidelines for pork it says this:

Pork | Whole Foods Market

No antibiotics — ever

No animal byproducts in feed

No gestation or farrowing (birthing) crates

Bedding required in housing

No supplemental growth hormones*
    Like I said I'm going to try to find our more about it, but I kind of feel like pigs could have all of those things and still be in a factory farm. Like ok there's no birthing crates but what about regular pigs, do they have to be in cages too? That's what I'm really looking at.

I told DH I might have to just not eat pork because it's really starting to weigh on me. Honest to god I'm not trying to be difficult. But it's just been on my mind a lot lately because we've gotten a lot more conscious about where our food comes from.
  10. One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Oh no you're not being difficult. I totally get it.

This might help:

Animal Welfare Basics | Whole Foods Market

We don't eat much pork either. Bacon is pretty much all of the pork we eat and we buy applegate brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast