Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "MIL Addition"

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

"MIL Addition"

Advertisements
    So I've been spending tons of time on the "home and decor" section of Pinterest and found references to something called a Mother-in-Law Addition. Basically you build a studio/1-bedroom apartment onto your house so that your MIL can come live with you when she's old.

Is this really a thing? I've never head of this! Would you ever do this (assuming you have room to build on to your house).

Dh and I plan on living in a condo forever so it definitely won't be an option for us.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Moderator

I've always heard of them.

I would not do it, due to the fact that my MIL is atrocious. However, if I had my ex-Inlaws, I definitely would've considered it years down the road.
  3. Moderator

I love it, and I would do it! I've seen them called Granny Suites too. Some houses here have them and we noticed tons when we were browsing rentals overseas!
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    I've always heard of them.

I would not do it, due to the fact that my MIL is atrocious. However, if I had my ex-Inlaws, I definitely would've considered it years down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I love it, and I would do it! I've seen them called Granny Suites too. Some houses here have them and we noticed tons when we were browsing rentals overseas!
    watttttt how did I get to 26.5 years old without hearing of this being a thing? I don't think I know anyone who has ever had this on their house, or had their In-laws/grandparents living with them
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    The house I own in Syracuse has one. Was like that when I bought it. It's an addition off the kitchen that has a half bath and an unfinished loft area. I used the loft for storage since there's no garage. The 15yr old son of my current tenants uses the loft as his bedroom - apparently that's the awesomest room in the house, so he tells me
    ~Becca~

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Until recently they weren't really something I would have considered. As of now I would prefer to have a smaller second home on the property rather than something attached to the house. I think maintaining autonomy would be important to everyone.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I've heard of them. They seem pretty useful to me!
  8. Senior Member

Not married, have no in-laws. But perhaps, if they weren't crazy. I don't see why not, if my in-laws were unable to live on their own. But in this day and age I think it is more common that the older folks are still fine to live on their own/with their SO. My grandparents sold their house at the end of this past summer and decided to go camping around the state (back in OH). I don't forsee them living with my parents anytime soon.
    Deployment #1: Over!

DB: feck fuck fack Me: What? DB: I can't believe I love you so damn much

Extended separation #2: Over!
  9. Senior Member
    bahahahahahah like hell
  10. Senior Member
    Newp couldn't live with my MIL that's why we got our own place, her and I can't live together and her and DH can't live together and an addition to our house is way too close....my mom can come live with us though.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast