Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping into freezer meals

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Jumping into freezer meals

Advertisements
    So after spending the past 8 months not cooking or really eating normal food I am attempting to plan ahead. I also am hoping that if I can master the concept than maybe it is something I can maintain and overcome my "I hate cooking" and "grocery stores are horrible places" conundrum.

Anyway, I thought I would share my ideas and slow progress for the next few weeks.

My current list:
    Twice Baked Potatoes
    Sour cream noodle bake
    Irish pub pasties
    Curried potato pasties
    Butternut squash and goat cheese pasties
    Tamale pie
    Okra chili
    Breakfast burritos

I would love to hear any ideas you have, or join in, or keep my feet to the fire.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Look at me replying to my own thread. I just didn't want to make the worlds longest post.

I went to the store today on my own. No big immature whiny fit required. Twice baked potatoes and their simple chop, cook, mix was the inspiration. I also picked up the things to make the sour cream noodle bake which is for dinner since it sounded odd. I don't want to start off this adventure by having an unknown disaster lurking in the freezer waiting for the unsuspecting moment to annoy and gross me out.

Potatoes went a-okay. Wash, bake, cut, scoop, mix with yummy yummy goodness (potato guts, sour cream, green onion, yellow onion, olives, cheddar cheese) then freeze. I had to be patient cooling the potatoes and scooping but it went fine and dandy. Left over stuffing went into my belly and I was happy.

Noodle bake, not gonna lie looks kinda gross. Not a big casserole person. Haven't psyched myself up to try it yet. Everything will be okay with hot sauce yes? If this doesn't work out I will have to find something else to use egg noodles with since I have a second bag.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Tuna noodle casserole would be perfect if you have left over egg noodles. I don't know if it freezes well though. Freezer meals kind of weird me out, so I've never tried. I use this recipe Skinny Tuna Noodle Casserole | Skinnytaste. If you read through the comments, you might find some mention of how it does in the freezer.

I Eelizah
  4. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

My go to meal is chicken noodle bake.casserole

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Chili is a big one for me to freeze, lasagna rolls are quite nice since you can portion those easily into like disposable loaf pans instead of making giant lasagnas. Basically I have started just doubling whatever recipes I like when I make them and the. Freezing them. The biggest challenge for me when freezer cooking is finding recipes with good ingredients and aren't like 3 cans of crew of blah soups.

Oh and veggie soup! I love making a big pot of veggie soup and then being able to pull out a bag of it when I'm under the weather.
  6. Senior Member
    I do a lot soups and chills. Soup generally starts with broth (chicken or beef) and I add either jarred italian sauce (marinara, etc.) or salsa, then beans, cooked meat (diced chicken, ground beef, whatever I have) veggies (assorted frozen or whatever is lurking in my kitchen) and pasta (which I cook before adding). You can really add whatever you have as leftovers. I add extra broth because the ingredients soak up a lot of liquid.

Mexican bake. browned ground beef and onions, canned black bend or refried beans, salsa, canned tomatoes, cheese, and crumbled tortilla chips on top.

I also do cooked egg noodles, gravy, garlic, diced chicken, and top with breadcrumbs mixed with butter.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thanks all! I will be adding to my list for sure. The pasta bake wasn't terrible once it set a bit. I think with different ratios it could be alright. More sour cream less cottage cheese.

Today I made breakfast burritos. I have no idea how that will do in the freezer so that will have to wait to see.
  8. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I have a few tabs saved for some freezer meals that turned out really good! My favorite was this cilantro lime chicken for the crock pot and I made it into tacos so good.

Here's the link with all my favorites! And they give you printable shopping lists so it made it 50 billion times easier!

Five Slow Cooker Freezer Bag Meals (Make 5 Meals in Just One Hour) Hip2Save

ETA: They're all crock pot recipes too, I don't know if you have a crock pot but that is one way I manage to save and if I'm not motivated to cook I like being able to just throw something in my crock pot!

9. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    I have a few tabs saved for some freezer meals that turned out really good! My favorite was this cilantro lime chicken for the crock pot and I made it into tacos so good.

Here's the link with all my favorites! And they give you printable shopping lists so it made it 50 billion times easier!

Five Slow Cooker Freezer Bag Meals (Make 5 Meals in Just One Hour) – Hip2Save

ETA: They're all crock pot recipes too, I don't know if you have a crock pot but that is one way I manage to save and if I'm not motivated to cook I like being able to just throw something in my crock pot!
    NOM NOM.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  10. Senior Member
    Oh, that link has some yummy sounding stuff.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast