Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Meal Planning

1. Senior Member

Meal Planning

Advertisements
    Right now, DH and I pretty much decide what's for dinner when we get home at 4, go to the store if necessary (not a huge deal since it's mile away), and make dinner...

I'd love to figure out planning out meals, even just a week at a time. But I have no idea where to start.

2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I'm in my 5th or 6th week of successful meal planning now!

The way I do it is: on Sunday, pick out 3-4 dinner recipes that I want, write ingredient list for grocery shopping. Then I ask DH what he wants for lunches during the week (sandwiches, always sandwiches), and add it to my shopping list. Then I add what I want (I bring lunch 3 days a week to work), THEN lastly I go through the cupboard and fridge and write down any remaining items that need to be brought.
    So like for this week my list looked like this:

Monday and Tuesday dinner: Chicken wild rice soup - already have all ingredients
    Wednesday - Spaghetti squash and bolognese sauce
    - Spaghetti squash
    - can of crushed tomatoes
    - ground turkey
    - etc
    Thursday: fish tacos
    - 1 lb white fish
    - avocado
    - canned green chilies
    - etc
    Friday: go out

DH Lunches: sandwiches and sides
    - sliced corned beef
    - sliced provolone
    - grapes
    - apples
    - mayo

My lunches: BLT salad
    - tomatoes
    - romaine
    - bacon
    - etc

Others:
    - milk
    - honey
    - syrup

Sometimes the recipes I choose make a ton of food so I calculate in leftovers as lunches. And I always have at least 1 going-out-to-dinner. I either print the recipes (if from internet), write them down (if something I made up), or bookmark them (if in a book) so I can find them easily. Also, anything made in the crockpot is DH's job so I make sure he knows the recipe and all ingredients. And I only plan M-F because on weekends we like to be spontaneous or go out with friends.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I do a week at a time, but I don't set the days. I'm very moody about food and won't want to cook something I don't want to eat. I get all the ingredients needed, and then on the day (or the day before if it requires thawing/crockpot cooking), I pick what I want. I keep a list of the meals planned on the fridge so I know what I intended to do.

The one good part is that DH never cares what we eat so I only have to deal with my own moods in regards to dinner
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I do a week at a time, but I don't set the days. I'm very moody about food and won't want to cook something I don't want to eat. I get all the ingredients needed, and then on the day (or the day before if it requires thawing/crockpot cooking), I pick what I want. I keep a list of the meals planned on the fridge so I know what I intended to do.

The one good part is that DH never cares what we eat so I only have to deal with my own moods in regards to dinner
    That's how I'll do it too, I pick like 5-6 recipes I want to use that week and pick the day of.
  5. i'd trade all the money in the world for you :)
    i'd trade all the money in the world for you :)
    I would make a list to last the pay period and dinners and then look in my fridge and pantry to see what I would need for each meal. I didn't set meals on certain days either. I would take the meal list and put it on the fridge and just decide when I would go to cook out of the options.
  6. Senior Member
    I can't seem to do meal planning, but in GA, I met a bunch of wives who got together and cooked once a month. They decide what they want to make, buy a month's worth of groceries, spend one day cooking everything: lasagna, burritos, enchilada, fried rice, stir fry, etc. Portion out the meals and freeze them. DH would never ever go for frozen food like that lol but it was an interesting idea.