Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Calling all gardeners!

1. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Hello Calling all gardeners!

Advertisements
    All of you who grow stuff, I want to see your gardens! I started growing cilantro and basil from these little dollar bin things I got from Target for the girls so that they could watch something grow, and they have done so well that I want to expand and try my hand at some other stuff. So, let me see what you are growing! If you don't have pics that's okay, too, you can just tell me about it. Any recommendations for stuff I can start out with that grows pretty easily inside in pots would be great, too. I can't plant anything outside until after we move but I want to start with some stuff now and the girls would love to help me!

2. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I'm going to be interested in this thread - I've been out of gardening for years, but DH has had small gardens (and container plants) since he came home. (I do better with house plants.)

However, we're making some changes to the front entrance of our house, which leaves a convenient place for a raised garden. Tomatoes are a must for me; we'll try herbs again (chives do well for us, basil does NOT.)
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    I'm going to be interested in this thread - I've been out of gardening for years, but DH has had small gardens (and container plants) since he came home. (I do better with house plants.)

However, we're making some changes to the front entrance of our house, which leaves a convenient place for a raised garden. Tomatoes are a must for me; we'll try herbs again (chives do well for us, basil does NOT.)
    I want to try chives and dill I think, I have heard they are pretty easy. I am so nervous about what will actually grow for me living somewhere with such harsh weather though! I REALLY want to get some veggies going once we move, and hopefully have some citrus trees when we buy a house.

4. Senior Member
    As far as food goes : Right now all I have is Basil for cooking. I recently planted so lemon seeds and so far i have 3 little sprouts growing! But, unfortunately they wont produce lemons for 3-6 years.

I do have a nice little flower garden though.

5. Senior Member

I have pictures, but it's late and I have to be up early, so pictures can wait until tomorrow

I have:
    boxwood basil - skip it, it's too twiggy to be easy to use and the flavor isn't as good as sweet basil
    thai basi - it's dying and I don't know why
    rosemary - it grows really well, and is super easy. I had a ton, so I ground up a bunch into salt for seasoned salt. When you're grilling, you can also put a sprig directly on the grill.
    tabasco peppers - super slow growers, not a huge yield (they're really small peppers). I'm not quite sure what I want to do. I would do pepper jelly, but I don't have canning equipment.
    thai dragon peppers - easy to care for, good yield. I've been drying them to give to my family at christmas
    holy mole peppers - skip it, they're easy to grow but don't taste great. They're really mild and a little bitter. I've been freezing them until I figure out what to do with them.
    green onion - grows soooo fast. My freezer is full of green onion, I've been putting it in anything I can think of
    meyer lemon - we got it as a 2' tall tree, it's probably 4' now (and should stay about that size). There are a bunch of little lemon buds on it this year (none last year, but it wasn't getting enough light and water...)

6. Senior Member
    You should do green onions, just buy some at the grocery store, use the green parts and throw the white part with roots in some dirt.
  7. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    The growing season is almost over here, so if I showed you my garden you would see a lot of weeds and vines.

Potatoes are really easy to grow, as are sweet potatoes, but sweet potatoes spread like you wouldn't believe!
    I did spinach this year and really loved it, I just wish I would have cut it more often.
    Tomatoes are always hit or miss for me. I have 8 plants, only about 4 have really produced.
    I had BEAUTIFUL green bell peppers this year. I have jalapenos and habenero peppers which taste amazing, but you need to wear gloves when prepping because otherwise they burn skin!
    Strawberries did fine, but the birds stole them all Next year DH is building a cage for my berries.
    My watermelon and pumpkins are growing out of control this year. I'm excited to harvest them!

Have you considered planting a fruit tree? I can't recall if you rent or not. My folks have a beautiful apple tree that generally produces beautifully!

ETA: I grew "giant" pumpkins last year and tossed the rotted pumpkins in my burn pile...lo and behold they grew in there! So did my sunflowers