Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Spare Room

1. Regular Member

Jump for Joy Spare Room

Advertisements
    Hey Everyone:

My roommates will be moving out at the end of the month, and while I am sad to see them go I am really looking forward to doing some painting and redecorating. However, I don't know what to do with that room and I'm hoping you have some suggestions. I've got three rooms upstairs (the master bedroom, guest room, and office) and their bed room is on the ground floor. Any good ideas of what I could do with this room?

Thanks for the suggestions.
  2. Senior Member
    Do you have any hobbies? Like do you like to play instruments? Or paint? Or workout?
  3. Senior Member
    Or maybe some sort of crafting room?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

In my house, it would be a craft room hands down no questions asked lol. Buuuut that's probably because atm my "craft room" is my desk, which is in the middle of my living room, I would looooooove to have a door that could be shut so I wouldn't feel the need to pick that mess up every time I'm being crafty!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I dream of having a full fledged crafting room, some day.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    So, this is a 4th room?

We made our 4th room into a game room. We have a place for a guest to sleep, but the rest of the room is set up to play cards, board games, darts or do puzzles. Its where we store all of our games and puzzles and where we can go play without having to utilize the rest of the house (such as the living room, family room or eating table).

Other option is to make it a workout room (if you exercise). Or a movie room. I would totally make one of our rooms a movie room, where you can store all the dvd's and have a tv, etc.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Regular Member
    So this house has four rooms, a dining/living room and a den. We use the Den for our TV and movie area because we have built in shelves around the fire place for movies. This spare room is next to the Den and we have a bathroom right next to it. So when we have parties everyone sort of stays in the den to watch movies or play video games.

I like to do cross stitch projects and I'm thinking about looking into painting. Unfortunately, I have a hard time sticking with the crafts because I don't know what to do with them when I'm done. I've already done quite a few for family and friends. Unfortunately, I'm not a very creative person so I tend to stick to stuff with predesigned patterns.

I'm planning on trying wine making this fall and picking up guitar. I also work out at home 5 days a week. I saw a great picture of a craft room/library and an office/wine room that looks like fun but I'm not sure I can afford to do built in shelves right now.

Does it make sense for a craft room if I don't do a lot of crafts? What would you dream craft/game/off or any other dream room have in it?
    Last edited by NightBreeze; 07-07-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Additional Information
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Where in your home do you exercise?
    Is it in some sort of common area or garage? If so, I would make that spare room a workout room.

If I didn't do crafts I would not make it a craft room. I would lean more towards an office/wine room if I had a choice.

We have our library in our game room, along with the games and puzzles and such.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Senior Member
    We had a library at our last Stateside house and I loved that. Of course, I am a huge reader and I owned a ton of books. I had the world's most comfortable chair chaise (like a chair with an attached ottoman) that was stuffed with goose down. There was an end table and a great reading lamp, and that was all the furniture. They the room had built in bookcases on most of the walls. The previous owner had put them in. They were actually prefab bookcases, but then they put molding on the top so they looked built in. (They were secured to the wall as well.) So I'm sure they didn't cost a fortune. And the room already had a built in window nook, which I filled with pillows and a comfy throw.

We used the closet for storage of gift wrap and other random crap. And some of the book cases had doors on the bottom, making covered storage, and I kept some dishes (like big platers and stuff we didn't use regularly) and kitchen linens in there. And I also kept all our games and stationary on the shelves in pretty boxes.

We had another bedroom that was a workout room, which wasn't pretty or fun to decorate, but it was nice to have.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski