Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Lawn/Grass Advice!

1. Senior Member

I Need Lawn/Grass Advice!

Advertisements
    For some reason my grass is slowly dying more and more. It seems like Germany has been crazy dry so far this year (but Ive just been here a year so maybe its normal?). My neighbors yard (duplex so we share a yard with a fence) looks way better than mine. I do have dogs that I let out there, but it seems that the grass is growing better where they go than the rest of the yard. I would assume that its just too dry, but like I said, my neighbors yard looks way better and only looks a little dry. I have put down grass seed and occasionally water it. The problem with watering it is there is no outside faucet so I have to carry a huge watering bucketing up and down the stairs several times, and I'd prefer to avoid that if I could.

Does anyone have any magic tips to get my grass to grow? Germans are very particular about this kind of stuff (You cant see my backyard unless you are in it or the house, but Id prefer to avoid the conflict if it should arise. Plus, who wants a dirt backyard?)
  2. Senior Member
    You probably aren't watering it enough. It's been a bit hotter than usual and hasn't rained much. I'm watering my lawn well every 2-3 days. A bucket full isn't going to cut it. Get a hose and a sprinkler so you can set it up to water. Leave it on for about 15 minutes, every few days, and not at the hottest part of the day.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    You probably aren't watering it enough. It's been a bit hotter than usual and hasn't rained much. I'm watering my lawn well every 2-3 days. A bucket full isn't going to cut it. Get a hose and a sprinkler so you can set it up to water. Leave it on for about 15 minutes, every few days, and not at the hottest part of the day.
    I usually take the watering can and do it several times all over the yard, but I dont do it often. I dont have any sort of outside faucet, so do you have any recommendations on a way to water it without having to use the watering can?
  4. Senior Member
    If there's no outside faucet, I'd run the hose from the kitchen sink and out a window. Most hoses with couple with most kitchen faucets.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Also, why would my neighbors side of the yard look so much better than mine? They dont ever do anything to it. A guy comes and mows it about every two weeks or so and thats it. They get about the same amount of sun and everything.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If there's no outside faucet, I'd run the hose from the kitchen sink and out a window. Most hoses with couple with most kitchen faucets.
    Ill try that! Thank you!
  7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by Katarina View Post
    Also, why would my neighbors side of the yard look so much better than mine? They dont ever do anything to it. A guy comes and mows it about every two weeks or so and thats it. They get about the same amount of sun and everything.
    Ask them?
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Ask them?
    I mean, we talk and I know they dont do anything to their side. The only thing that is ever done to their lawn is the guy comes and mows every 2 weeks. Im just confused why theirs looks so different when the yards are treated relatively the same (other than my dogs being in mine).
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarina View Post
    I mean, we talk and I know they dont do anything to their side. The only thing that is ever done to their lawn is the guy comes and mows every 2 weeks. Im just confused why theirs looks so different when the yards are treated relatively the same (other than my dogs being in mine).
    They may have a different species of grass, or maybe put down a lot of fertilizer at one point. Hard to know.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    They may have a different species of grass, or maybe put down a lot of fertilizer at one point. Hard to know.
    Thats a good point! I never thought maintaining decent grass would prove to be so difficult!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast