Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinning room help!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Dinning room help!

Advertisements
    The dinning room is being turned back into a legitimate dinning room instead of an everything room . I painted yesterday and that chair in the corner is going to be gone. The hanging light fixture will be reinstalled as well. I'm having trouble thinking of what else to do though, because just like it is looks to plain to me. Mirror on one wall? Is that okay for a dinning room? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

2. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    A gallery wall would be awesome!
    Also, maybe bring the table out farther and put a banquet along the wall? Bar cart where the chair currently is?

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Maybe look for a china cabinet or some other piece of furniture to add to the room. Also on the wall behind the table I would so something interesting either with pictures or mirrors!

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Penni View Post
    A gallery wall would be awesome!
    Also, maybe bring the table out farther and put a banquet along the wall? Bar cart where the chair currently is?
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    Maybe look for a china cabinet or some other piece of furniture to add to the room. Also on the wall behind the table I would so something interesting either with pictures or mirrors!
    I definitely like the idea of pictures behind the table and putting a piece of furniture where that ugly chair is now. We have a ton of shot glasses we've collected from all over so maybe some kind of display cabinet?
  5. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    I definitely like the idea of pictures behind the table and putting a piece of furniture where that ugly chair is now. We have a ton of shot glasses we've collected from all over so maybe some kind of display cabinet?
    I think that would be really cool on a gallery wall. Maybe on a shelf with a lip? The lip would keep the shot glasses from sliding off and they'd be viewed much better than in a cabinet.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    that'd be really cool!!

7. Senior Member
    I don't know how much you are looking to spend, but in addition to getting something on that wall, a chandelier or hanging light of some kind would fill the space and better define the table area. It looks like your table isn't currently centered under the junction box and under the raised area in the ceiling, and you'd probably need to changed with if you had a chandelier, but I think it would look better centered anyway.

I'd also add an area rug. For a table, it needs to be large enough that even when pushed out, the back legs of the chairs don't fall off the back of the rug.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I don't know how much you are looking to spend, but in addition to getting something on that wall, a chandelier or hanging light of some kind would fill the space and better define the table area. It looks like your table isn't currently centered under the junction box and under the raised area in the ceiling, and you'd probably need to changed with if you had a chandelier, but I think it would look better centered anyway.

I'd also add an area rug. For a table, it needs to be large enough that even when pushed out, the back legs of the chairs don't fall off the back of the rug.
    I totally agree on the hanging light, we changed it out when we were using it as an office because DH constantly hit his head on it but now we're going to put it back in, I'm just not sure I want to do it myself or wait on DH to install it. I'm handy but electricity makes me nervous. Once I can get the swivel chair out it will also be centered .

What color area rug? Would something with blue be okay with the grey on the walls?
  9. Senior Member
    If you want blue, I'd look for something that has both blue and gray in it. It's hard to tell what shade of gray is on the walls (on my screen it looks almost green). But as a rough example, something like this, which has blue and gray, and also some tones that will work well with the dark brown floors and table, and with the beige of the chair cushions.

Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If you want blue, I'd look for something that has both blue and gray in it. It's hard to tell what shade of gray is on the walls (on my screen it looks almost green). But as a rough example, something like this, which has blue and gray, and also some tones that will work well with the dark brown floors and table, and with the beige of the chair cushions.

Yeah the pictures came out kind of off because the sun was setting when I took it but it's a light grey on top, I can definitely see how it looks green in the picture though. Funny I have a rug that looks almost exactly the same in my Amazon cart! I love that one though, can I ask where you found that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast