Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiring a housekeeper?

1. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Hiring a housekeeper?

Advertisements
    So since DH deployed, my housekeeping skills have slipped...a lot. Between working and everything else going on, I can't keep up on my own. Plus, I'm lazy

I decided to look into hiring someone to come maybe twice a month and just do the basics. Vacuum, clean the bathroom, dust, any dishes that might be in the sink when she gets here, mop and clean the kitchen floors and appliances if they need it. No laundry. I have never done this before. And I feel a little lost. I was looking into cleaning services and I just don't think that will work for me. My work schedule is just to unpredictable for that plus it's soooo much money. One service I looked at said $80 an hour. Yeah, no thanks.

A girl on a milso san diego facebook group posted about cleaning houses. I messaged her, but I'm just not sure on what the smart, safe way is to go about this. I explained my apartment to her and the things I would want done and she came up with a price of $65 (possibly more for the initial clean, understandable) per cleaning. Would that be fair for a 700 sq foot 1bd/1bath apartment? I don't want to get ripped off and I certainly don't want her to get ripped off either. She would also have to drive 20 minutes to get here. Not clear on if she would want to be kids (from her facebook it appears she has 2 young kids, no school age just yet), but I'm not oppose to it as long as they are decently behaved. I told her it would be fine. Also, with my work schedule I would only be able to give her 7 days notice, which she said would be okay. Explained I'm flexible and if my days off that week don't work for her or she has other stuff going on, we can skip that week.

It's just me here, since DH is deployed. I don't expect anyone to come and clean up after me, just normal weekly/bi-weekly stuff, that I have a hard time getting to.

Any recommendation as to how I should go about this? I have been thinking meeting up for lunch first might be a good idea. Not sure if that would be weird though. What should I ask that I already haven't? Is it an over-all bad idea? I mean, she would be a stranger, I let into my house.
  2. Senior Member
    When we lived in Killeen and were both working we had Molly Maid They came bi-weekly and did a good job, I think it was 200$ a month? 100 each time they came. I loved it. Wish I could have it here, but they don't exist here and I'm not working so no reason

3. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    When we lived in Killeen and were both working we had Molly Maid They came bi-weekly and did a good job, I think it was 200$ a month? 100 each time they came. I loved it. Wish I could have it here, but they don't exist here and I'm not working so no reason
    I don't know, that's just too much money for me, right now. I looked into them and they have a lock-out fee and cancelation fee, which I understand, but don't like.
  4. Regular Member
    Well, i live in 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment, have busy schedule and dont have much time to do cleaning by myself, so based on my colleagues recommendation, i hire this girl, shes a uni student looking for extra income. She come twice a week and get paid AUD200 at the end of the week. Her job including cleaning the house (vacuuming, clean the bathroom and dusting), load/unload dishwasher (if any), clean the kitchen counter, and iron my clothes. Sometimes she also helps me to do groceries shopping or other errands. We went for lunch and i did some interview, she gave me her reference from previous family, police check and she gave me copy of her ID when she start to work. Be specific about your expectation towards her and tell her if you have special house rules or something. Hope it helps
  5. Senior Member

I have a Nanny/maid and when she cleans peoples houses she charges $50 for the day. Maids are everywhere around here but I think they all pretty much charge the same amount.

We don't pay that much a day since she is primarly a Nanny and only cleans and cooks when shes not busy with Aria.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm a residential cleaner . That seems just a little high to me but I'm going to guess that probably has to do with the area. A 1bd / 1 bth I would probably charge around 40 weekly for and maybe 45 biweekly (generally it is more work only going every other week vs every week). Charging more on the initial cleaning in fairly normal. Unless your place is a disaster (not judging sometimes mine is when DH is gone ) I wouldn't pay to much more for it though. 20 minute commute, to me, is not a big deal. I do it for a few houses and only start adding a charge if it's 40+ minutes away. As far as how to do it, I would ask for references, if she has a few good ones I would have her come over and you can show her exactly what you want done and she'll be able to asses what she'll need to do / bring with her. It's awesome she can work around your off days too, most people either give me a key or leave it somewhere and I clean while they are working. I understand not wanting a stranger in your home while you're gone though!

If you haven't already I wouldn't tell her your DH is gone, but that's the paranoid person inside me, not the cleaner .
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    I quoted someone with a 4bd / 2.5bth / office + regular rooms and cleaning at $100 biweekly. She told me I charge way to much , looks like I need to move to Texas.
  8. Senior Member
    That price seems kinda high to me. My parents have always had a housekeeper. My mom said that the worst housekeepers were through the commercial companies (Molly maid etc.). She always said that they did a decent job with appearance cleaning but they sucked at actually cleaning.

The lady they have now comes weekly and they pay her $75/week. She cleans the house, does the dishes, and washes all of the linens. Every few weeks or so she also waxes the hardwoods and does a good deep clean of the house. So $65 for an apartment sounds a bit high.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    That price seems kinda high to me. My parents have always had a housekeeper. My mom said that the worst housekeepers were through the commercial companies (Molly maid etc.). She always said that they did a decent job with appearance cleaning but they sucked at actually cleaning.

The lady they have now comes weekly and they pay her $75/week. She cleans the house, does the dishes, and washes all of the linens. Every few weeks or so she also waxes the hardwoods and does a good deep clean of the house. So $65 for an apartment sounds a bit high.

Also this, a good cleaner will just do extras without trying to charge more. Usually each week I pick one or two.
  10. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    I'm a residential cleaner . That seems just a little high to me but I'm going to guess that probably has to do with the area. A 1bd / 1 bth I would probably charge around 40 weekly for and maybe 45 biweekly (generally it is more work only going every other week vs every week). Charging more on the initial cleaning in fairly normal. Unless your place is a disaster (not judging sometimes mine is when DH is gone ) I wouldn't pay to much more for it though. 20 minute commute, to me, is not a big deal. I do it for a few houses and only start adding a charge if it's 40+ minutes away. As far as how to do it, I would ask for references, if she has a few good ones I would have her come over and you can show her exactly what you want done and she'll be able to asses what she'll need to do / bring with her. It's awesome she can work around your off days too, most people either give me a key or leave it somewhere and I clean while they are working. I understand not wanting a stranger in your home while you're gone though!

If you haven't already I wouldn't tell her your DH is gone, but that's the paranoid person inside me, not the cleaner .
    Thank you!!!!

This helps a lot! Considering it is a commute and gas is probably more here, I know for myself, It wouldn't be worth my time to drive out here for much less $65. Another concern of mine with hiring someone that doesn't have insurance, unlike molly maid would, is what do I do if she breaks something on accident, or gets hurt doing something around my house? Is that on me? Would renters insurance come into play? How do you deal with that? I mean, I don't have anything super important but if she knocked a liquid on my computer ect., am I pretty much at a loss and that's my problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post

That's kind of what I figured as well with molly maids and other services. You pay more because they have an overhead. If I hire someone and have supplies for them to use, it's almost 100% profit for them. They'll be willing to work a little harder since if she doesn't do a good job, I'll just find someone else who will.
    Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    Also this, a good cleaner will just do extras without trying to charge more. Usually each week I pick one or two.
    I'll keep that in mind.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast