Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall stenciling?

1. Senior Member

Question Wall stenciling?

Advertisements
    Any of you guys ever stenciled a pattern on a wall? Was it difficult?

I want to stencil one of the walls in baby's room a damask pattern with hidden Mickeys...never done t before though.
  2. Senior Member
    Kinda like this:

3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I did it once and it wasn't too bad but I did it on a textured wall and had some problems with bleeding. It may have been that I didn't have it taped down secure enough but the edges weren't crisp when I was done.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I haven't and none of my house projects have gone as planned but 1) Scarlett Jean is a beautiful name and 2) I love that nursery.

And a bump for more experienced homeowners!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have. It can be a pain in the butt, but it's worth it.

You need the wall to be as smooth as it can be. We sanded the wall and repainted it the weekend before I stenciled.

My advice, get all of your supplies and go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a 2'X2' square of drywall and a sample of primer and paint. Primer and paint the drywall square and practice to get a technique down. It's easier to get the technique down when you can sit comfortably and experiment without worrying you're going to mess up the whole wall.

You paint needs to be fairly thick. Thin paint runs. Your brush needs to be dry. It's easier and less aggravating to add more paint than to have to deal with overloading and having the stencil covered in drips.

DON'T use tape for the stencil. Get spray adhesive. Spray the wrong side of the stencil and let it dry for a couple of minutes until it's tacky to the touch, then place it on the wall and press hard. Paint and then peel the stencil off. It won't have time to dry to the wall and it makes the whole stencil adhere to avoid bleeding. Practice using the adhesive on the scrap piece of drywall too.

Once you get going, it goes fast and is pretty easy.

Oh, one other thing. Are you buying a pre made stencil? Making your own stencil gives you freedom of design but can be frustrating because the stencil has to be perfect or it will show once you've painted that there were flaws in it.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    I haven't and none of my house projects have gone as planned but 1) Scarlett Jean is a beautiful name and 2) I love that nursery.

And a bump for more experienced homeowners!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I have. It can be a pain in the butt, but it's worth it.

You need the wall to be as smooth as it can be. We sanded the wall and repainted it the weekend before I stenciled.

My advice, get all of your supplies and go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a 2'X2' square of drywall and a sample of primer and paint. Primer and paint the drywall square and practice to get a technique down. It's easier to get the technique down when you can sit comfortably and experiment without worrying you're going to mess up the whole wall.

You paint needs to be fairly thick. Thin paint runs. Your brush needs to be dry. It's easier and less aggravating to add more paint than to have to deal with overloading and having the stencil covered in drips.

DON'T use tape for the stencil. Get spray adhesive. Spray the wrong side of the stencil and let it dry for a couple of minutes until it's tacky to the touch, then place it on the wall and press hard. Paint and then peel the stencil off. It won't have time to dry to the wall and it makes the whole stencil adhere to avoid bleeding. Practice using the adhesive on the scrap piece of drywall too.

Once you get going, it goes fast and is pretty easy.

Oh, one other thing. Are you buying a pre made stencil? Making your own stencil gives you freedom of design but can be frustrating because the stencil has to be perfect or it will show once you've painted that there were flaws in it.
    Thank you so much for the tips! I'm thinking about trying to make to make my own stencil. I really want damask with Disney incorporated...much like the damask design in the middle of our save the dates -

I was reading a tutorial online that made it sound fairly easy...but I haven't done anything this artsy / crafty in quite a while! What kind of paper did you use? Any recommendations on spray adhesive? I got a role of cricut vinyl to try...that sticks to walls, right?

To make the stencil I plan to play around with photoshop and see if I can crop out the design from the save the date, then enlarge it and trace it onto the vinyl...does that sound doable?
  7. Senior Member
    You might see if you can find a damask stencil at the store and then just cut out a part of it to ad Mickey. Might be easier (and end up looking better) than cutting the whole thing by yourself and trying to make it perfect.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't have any tips for you but I think it's a really cute idea! Also, I was just on Pinterest and saw this. Disney baby

There are sooo many cute Disney baby things
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    You might see if you can find a damask stencil at the store and then just cut out a part of it to ad Mickey. Might be easier (and end up looking better) than cutting the whole thing by yourself and trying to make it perfect.
    We went to Michaels and looked today...their selection of pre-made stencils was pretty small. I was thinking exactly what you suggested - halfing the stencil and putting the mickey in the middle...but none of the ones they had would've allowed us to do that. If the stencil I'm making doesn't work out decently, I'll probably look more places!

Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    I don't have any tips for you but I think it's a really cute idea! Also, I was just on Pinterest and saw this. Disney baby

There are sooo many cute Disney baby things
    I have that saved as a favorite in Etsy already. I thought about getting those (and am still considering it)...but the nursery walls are slanted...we have a cape cod style house...so I'm not sure if they'd look weird on a sloped wall.
  10. Senior Member
    Here's what I've got so far after extracting the pattern from our save the dates. I plan to alternate upside-down Mickey vs right side up Mickey just like in our save the dates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast