Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh the joys of home renovations! [Kinda long...but might make you laugh]

1. Senior Member

Shock *Update!* Oh the joys of home renovations! [Kinda long...but might make you laugh]

Advertisements
    So let me tell you about our bathroom reno so far...
    First, a little side story...We've been replacing outlets here and there as we have time / remember to get them. Last weekend we got a GFCI outlet for the upstairs bathroom (the one I primarily use) and Thomas tried to replace it. Something with the wiring was wonky and not only did it knock out power in the bathroom...but took out most of the upstairs. We call an electrician and they are able to come out the next day.

Meanwhile I have been showering in the downstairs bathroom. Thomas has mentioned how we should look into getting a new tub because apparently the 'reno' that previous owners did wasn't very thorough...instead of replacing the tub, they simply painted the baby pink tub white...and now it's chipping...and looks gross...not to mention whether it was cleaned before painting it! This is the bathroom our guests use...and likely the bathroom we'd bathe our baby in...so once I saw that, it became top-priority on our reno list.

After scheduling the electrician, we went to Home Depot to get an overhead light / fan for the nursery...figured since the electrician will be there, we'd have it ready for them to install if they had time...or to quote us on installation if they didn't have time. Well, we left with a new bathtub.

Thomas was so antsy to get the bathroom started that he started taking out the old tub stuff right after we got home from Home Depot Tuesday night. So I ask if the bathroom is still usable...and it's not. He just figured he'd shower at the gym the next morning and I'd shower upstairs...forgetting that he knocked out the power upstairs causing me to use the other bathroom, so I showered upstairs in the dark yesterday morning. ...but that's not even the worst of it.

Yesterday was even more fun. He tells me he's going to try to get the faucet off...okay cool. I'm sitting on the couch and I hear this huge surge of water. I wait...maybe that's supposed to happen? Waited to hear a, "help!" or, "oh shit!"...nothing. Got up a minute later and knocked on the bathroom door...no answer...so I call out to him...still no answer...called out again, "Can you please respond if you're alive?!" He just responds with, "yea." I open the door and it's a MESS! Tub is filling up, he's soaked and holding on to the hot water knob for dear life. So I take his spot and he goes looking for the main shut-off. While doing so he loosens some pipe in the guest bedroom closet (it's where access to the downstairs shower plumbing is located)...completely flooding that room. We finally got it to turn off by turning this valve on the hot water heater...but I keep thinking..this is a gas heater...can turning this valve make something explode?! I call multiple plumbers...no one can come out...recommends we call the city who will come out and turn it off for free...wrong. Since it's a private water line, they won't do anything. I guess it's understandable...it's not their screw up. Then I have the genius idea of asking a neighbor. Their house is a different model...but same builder...maybe we'll get lucky. Mind you, this is the first time I'm meeting this specific neighbor...in my jammies. Main shut off is under the kitchen sink.

Moral of the story...know where your main water shut off is (and shut it off) before replacing any plumbing stuff.

...and here's some pictures for your viewing pleasure. These are all during...I forgot to take a before picture.
    When we took the plastic wall covering off the sides of the tub...we saw that the 60s pink tile was never removed.

The real color of the tub...

Some of the mess...
    Last edited by Enthused Meerkat; 03-12-2014 at 05:18 PM.
  2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Please tell me that you watch Renovation Realities on HGTV (or maybe it's DIY Network ) because this totally sounds like something that would happen on that show!!

I hope you guys get your bathroom all fixed up with no further issue!! Can't wait to see after pictures

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    Please tell me that you watch Renovation Realities on HGTV (or maybe it's DIY Network ) because this totally sounds like something that would happen on that show!!

I hope you guys get your bathroom all fixed up with no further issue!! Can't wait to see after pictures
    Oh yes...definitely watch it! It kinda makes me sad how much the couples get angry with each other and how some of them speak to each other. We're by no means a perfect couple...but I would not accept Thomas speaking to me the way some of those guys speak to their wives...nor would he accept that kind of behavior from me! I'm glad that we've been pretty patient with each other...it could be due to me not being as involved though...I'm mainly on the sidelines watching since he doesn't want me doing anything too strenuous.
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

It is kind of funny. DH showed me where the main shut off valve was before he left (it's outside for us), and within three weeks my whole house flooded from the washer wall thing breaking. I was so glad I knew right where to go!

We do a lot of home projects but I don't think I'd be as open to if DH wasn't a built in plumper, electrician, carpenter. You're brave!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    It is kind of funny. DH showed me where the main shut off valve was before he left (it's outside for us), and within three weeks my whole house flooded from the washer wall thing breaking. I was so glad I knew right where to go!

We do a lot of home projects but I don't think I'd be as open to if DH wasn't a built in plumper, electrician, carpenter. You're brave!
    Nice! Well at least now we both know where the shut-off is for the future.

My husband is definitely not the average Mr. Fix-it...but he's very eager to learn and reads directions pretty well.
  6. Senior Member
    A little update...new tub is in! The bathroom isn't complete yet...but it's getting there.

Because of the flooding, we decided to go ahead and get the flooring replaced. It's something that has been on our list since we moved in...but we weren't planning to do it NOW. We got a quote and for the living room, hallway, and guest bedroom it wasn't as expensive as we expected...so rather than allowing the guest bedroom carpet to be wet and potentially cause a mold issue, we got it replaced.

7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I love the new floors!! What kind did yall go with?? We really want to replace the carpet in our living room and dining room but I'm kinda on the fence about whether to do bamboo or wood floors.

8. Senior Member
    I love the new floors!! What kind did yall go with?? We really want to replace the carpet in our living room and dining room but I'm kinda on the fence about whether to do bamboo or wood floors.
    It's wood laminate. All the fancy look without the fancy cost! I was actually able to negotiate the price down a good bit...good thing I left work early for the consult because husband isn't good at negotiating. When I first saw it I thought it was too red...but it's been growing on me...just need a rug now.
  9. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthused Meerkat View Post
    It's wood laminate. All the fancy look without the fancy cost! I was actually able to negotiate the price down a good bit...good thing I left work early for the consult because husband isn't good at negotiating. When I first saw it I thought it was too red...but it's been growing on me...just need a rug now.
    Oh wow, I'd never have guessed it was laminate! Heck maybe we'll have to look into that. I heard it's actually more durable because it's not real wood so it doesn't warp as much and stuff. My dad (who likes to talk crap) was all, "Don't get laminate or bamboo if you're going to do it, then do it right" but we have a 9 year old and two dogs...we need durability that looks nice not to be able to say we have real wood floors

10. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides

That was the first thing that came to my mind as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast