Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: House cleaning service

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

House cleaning service

Advertisements
    For those of you who have a regular house cleaner how did you decide it was time to hire one?

I feel like we are seriously lacking in keeping up our house. I can't tell if its because we are just not prioritizing our time well or because we really are just too busy. Part of me just wants it done and part of me feel guilty paying for cleaning.
  2. Senior Member
    duluth mn...it's a great city on a great lake!
    I don't have one but my parents and my sister use one. My parents started using one after my mom had back surgery and couldn't do any lifting or bending. They continued to use the cleaning service until my dad retired and he had time to take on the extra chores around the house. They liked that it was a guarantee that certain chores would be getting done very week (my mom worked full time nights and my dad never wanted to do noisy cleaning when my mom was sleeping)

My sister (her words, not mine lol) doesn't place cleaning her home high on her list of priorities and found that she was living in a slovenly pit at times. She then decided that she could either rearrange her priorities and suffer trough cleaning (which is akin to torture for her) or hire someone to do it for her, so she hired a full maid service.

I had a cleaning service come in once and I'm way too picky for it. I redid everything after they left and decided that having a cleaning service was not for me.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I briefly considered it and did some searching around but man, they were expensive. I dunno if it's just San Diego or what. It was like 200$ per session, and I was hoping to do it every other week but no way. I decided my suffering with cleaning isn't worth 200$
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I briefly considered it and did some searching around but man, they were expensive. I dunno if it's just San Diego or what. It was like 200$ per session, and I was hoping to do it every other week but no way. I decided my suffering with cleaning isn't worth 200$
    Yeah that's kinda where I'm at. I think it will be $80 a session so $160ish a month. I might be too frugal, but I also want a vacuumed floors.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

From the opposite prospective I am a home cleaner, using an individual will be far cheaper than going with an actual service, and many still have insurance and what not. I have a 4bd 2.5 bath I do and I charge $100, takes me about 5 hours so $20/hr (which seems to be on the high side here) just to give you an idea.
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DH and I have been meaning to hire one for a while, but I"ve just been lazy about it.

I guess it got to that point because we started thinking about time vs. money. Like we make enough money now, and have such a shortage of time, that it makes more sense to pay for a cleaning service rather than to spend time doing it. But I'm not exactly sure where that spot would be where it makes sense to change over ... I just kind of know where they're lol.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm in the same boat. DH is gone, I have two, young children, and I really suck at just trying to keep the house at anything more than toys/dishes/laundry (and half the time I'm not even folding the laundry because I'm so exhausted by the time I'm finished with everything else for the night) done each day. DH told me to just do what I want (I'm the one to make the budget and I know we can easily swing it) but I also feel kinda like I'm failing if I hire someone.
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    From the opposite prospective I am a home cleaner, using an individual will be far cheaper than going with an actual service, and many still have insurance and what not. I have a 4bd 2.5 bath I do and I charge $100, takes me about 5 hours so $20/hr (which seems to be on the high side here) just to give you an idea.
    Can I hire you?! I have a 1 bed, 1 bath. I'll still pay 100$ and I'm sure it'd take you like an hour
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    Cool, thanks! I think that is the way we'll go if it works out since my co-workers referred someone to me.